Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   iPhone & iPods (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/)
-   -   Using a Panasonic bluetooth phone as a home phone (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/45935-using-panasonic-bluetooth-phone-home-phone.html)

chrisk August 26, 2011 02:26 PM

Using a Panasonic bluetooth phone as a home phone

Hey all;
We currently have two cell phones, and a home phone. There is just the two of us. Basically, I was thinking of docking my cell phone while at home, and connecting it to a 'home phone' type of device (for comfort).

I saw these on sale at Best buy:
Panasonic 2-Handset DECT 6.0 Plus Cordless Phone With Answering Machine and Bluetooth (KXTG7622B) : 2 Handset Cordless - Best Buy Canada

This allows your cell phone to connect via bluetooth, so that you can send and receive calls through the handset.

Has anyone tried this particular device or similar? I am thinking of getting rid of my home phone number (even though we have had it for many years).

Arinoth August 26, 2011 05:18 PM

Unfortunately I have not, however the benefit of Best Buy is the fact you can try it out hassle free, and if it works great. If not you have plenty of time to return it for your full money back

Skyllz August 26, 2011 05:25 PM

Hmmm... I really like that, i'll have to investigate.

If you can pair more then 1 phone to the thing it would be great.

Get home, drop wifeys and my cell beside it with charger, all phone calls coming in on the cells can be taken from wireless phones in the house.

chrisk August 26, 2011 06:00 PM

I have bought this and so far here are the pros and cons after about 2 hours of use:

Pros:
- you can setup two cell phones (I have setup an Android and an iPhone). You walk in the house and automatically connects (see cons though)
- voice quality is excellent. Range is excellent
- imported my iphone numbers automatically. Have not tested the sync
- uses the home phone line by default. Can set a cell phone only mode as well
- paid $100 tax in for three handsets and a base with answering machine, Can get for about $20 cheaper if you want only two sets
- useful if you have dead spots in your house
- can setup specific ring tones for each phone, so you know which phone is getting the call
- takes AAA rechargeable batteries. Handy when they need to be replaced a few years from now.

Cons:
- if you turn your phone off, you have to manually pair the devices. You can come and go from your house, and it will automatically connect, but not if you turn the device off.
- a very short pause when answering, and when making a call. However, conversation seems to work flawlessly once the connection is done.

So far after a bit of testing, works well. Will play around with it for a few weeks before I go ahead and cancel the land line, but if i had a cell-only setup I would def keep it.

Quote:

Hmmm... I really like that, i'll have to investigate.

If you can pair more then 1 phone to the thing it would be great.

Get home, drop wifeys and my cell beside it with charger, all phone calls coming in on the cells can be taken from wireless phones in the house.
Skylls: this is exactly how it seems to work.

Skyllz August 26, 2011 06:26 PM

Thanks alot for the review, keep us posted if you find any issues in the next couple days.

I actually need to replace the wireless phones in the house(5 years old, 2 out of 3 have weak batteries now). Might has well get something new and useful instead f spending 30-50$ in replacement batteries.

chrisk August 26, 2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyllz (Post 544340)
Thanks alot for the review, keep us posted if you find any issues in the next couple days.

I actually need to replace the wireless phones in the house(5 years old, 2 out of 3 have weak batteries now). Might has well get something new and useful instead f spending 30-50$ in replacement batteries.

These Panasonic phones are excellent, even without the bluetooth phone link feature. I have always bought them, and Best Buy has them on sale. I think The Source as well.

BTW another plus is that the handsets take AAA recharge batteries, so they would be easy to replace in the future.

chrisk September 27, 2011 08:41 AM

After using this for over a month, gotta say that my wife and I think we will cut the land line.

Only problem with this setup is the brief pause it takes after answering a call. The pause is about 1 second...when picking up, you can hear dead air, but after a second you can then hear the background noise of the caller and the handset is ready to go.

Not perfect but makes talking on the cell phone much easier when at home.

stoanee September 27, 2011 08:51 AM

Kinda worried about this:

Wired 12.12: They've Got Your Number