Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   iPhone & iPods (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/)
-   -   I think my iPhone got hacked! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/44861-i-think-my-iphone-got-hacked.html)

belgolas July 13, 2011 04:01 AM

I think my iPhone got hacked!

Well last night when I was sleeping my iPhone played a YouTube video. One that I have never searched before. I just put my iPhone back to sleep after yelling at it. When I woke up I went into Safari and found that it did about a dozen web searches that I have not done.

Well I am going to nuke it in iTunes when I get home from work but am worried if that will work. $&@# I may not get another iPhone. :(

Arinoth July 13, 2011 04:09 AM

Sounds almost like you got a virus for it, impressive feat to get one on a mobile phone, however the iPhone is the least secure mobile device out there on the market (according to independent third party security companies)

JD July 13, 2011 06:26 AM

Do you have any apps that allow you to "push" things from your desktop to your phone? I know in Android's case there's Chrome to Phone which does this. I can imagine the security risks if someone was able to either gain access to your username/password, or otherwise "hack" it.

belgolas July 13, 2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 532423)
Do you have any apps that allow you to "push" things from your desktop to your phone? I know in Android's case there's Chrome to Phone which does this. I can imagine the security risks if someone was able to either gain access to your username/password, or otherwise "hack" it.

Well possibly one app called Air Video or carbonite but my computer was off when all this weird stuff happened.

The youtube video was junkyard wars.....

Some of the sites it visited was nndb.com (notable names database) google search for junkyard wars, and some other ones I don't remember.

Also the battery life drained much faster. I have never had my phone die on me before getting home from work and this time it did and we worked a shorter day.

This really freaked me out.... Right now I am restoring the iPhone.

JD July 13, 2011 02:56 PM

Well any app that allows you to control the phone remotely is obviously opening a large security hole. I'm sure it's not difficult to hack it. If you can live without them, I'd probably suggest not installing them.

But yes, malware/viruses/etc are becoming a huge issue with smartphones. Hackers know people rely heavily on these devices, and that they contain tons of personal information.

supaflyx3 July 13, 2011 03:33 PM

How much did you drink the night before?

belgolas July 13, 2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 532609)
Well any app that allows you to control the phone remotely is obviously opening a large security hole. I'm sure it's not difficult to hack it. If you can live without them, I'd probably suggest not installing them.

But yes, malware/viruses/etc are becoming a huge issue with smartphones. Hackers know people rely heavily on these devices, and that they contain tons of personal information.

I have no apps that do remote desktop. There are a lot of known security holes. Like you can get compromised by receiving a text message. Or the many PDF security holes. Someone should make an anti virus/malware to run on the phone from time to time. To get real time protection monitoring would drain the battery too much though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 532621)
How much did you drink the night before?

None although I wish it were a bad dream.

JD July 13, 2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgolas (Post 532624)
Someone should make an anti virus/malware to run on the phone from time to time. To get real time protection

There are numerous ones out there, on Android at least. Not sure about iOS.

belgolas July 13, 2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 532662)
There are numerous ones out there, on Android at least. Not sure about iOS.

hm looks like I may have to switch to android if I continue to have problems.

JD July 14, 2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgolas (Post 532722)
hm looks like I may have to switch to android if I continue to have problems.

I suppose Apple just assumes everything they make is secure and doesn't fathom running security software :whistle:

AVG, Norton, McAfee, ESET, Kaspersky, BitDefender all have Android apps. Pretty much all the major players in the desktop antivirus arena have Android counterparts.