Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2011, 07:01 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sorry for double-post, but:
Actually, iPhone sends your location to Apple twice a day - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab

Check out the link above. Explains the whole thing.
In short, you're right Arinoth - they did ask iOS users to "Agree" to it, but in a very misleading way. The actual mention of collecting the phones location data is in the fine print. Its still ridiculous and must be stopped.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

They can track where I go all they want. The only information they'll get from it is that I spend way too much time on the shitter playing Angry Birds.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Can't really hide from them I guess, for them to keep track of this (even if they do not collect it...yet) is sort of shocking. Although one could argue that you could be tracked either way, once your GPS is on you become visible for whoever has access to that information.
Old April 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
Can't really hide from them I guess, for them to keep track of this (even if they do not collect it...yet) is sort of shocking. Although one could argue that you could be tracked either way, once your GPS is on you become visible for whoever has access to that information.
The database that contains all this info is associated with iTunes. Do you really think it would be that hard for Apple to pull a copy of it?...

Also, think youre wrong with yuor GPS comment. AFAIK GPS is passive reception only. Aka you receive multiple wide area GPS transmissions from various satellites and the GPS itself calculates where you are. There is no feedback nor tracking possible for GPS, again AFAIK.
Old April 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
The database that contains all this info is associated with iTunes. Do you really think it would be that hard for Apple to pull a copy of it?...

Also, think youre wrong with yuor GPS comment. AFAIK GPS is passive reception only. Aka you receive multiple wide area GPS transmissions from various satellites and the GPS itself calculates where you are. There is no feedback nor tracking possible for GPS, again AFAIK.
GPS might be passive if using the satellite gps chip, but any location data using cell phone towers (ie. triangulation) could be recorded by the telcomms if I remember correctly, and your phone sends this info when accessing the network.

I am not sure or in a position at this minute to verify if the telcomms actually do this...anyone verify this for sure?
edit: they do track this in the US for many phones it seems: iPhone tracking: What you need to know - CNN.com
Quote:
Mobile phone companies also collect this type of data, but, as the researchers point out, that data "normally requires a court order to gain access to it, whereas this is available to anyone who can get their hands on your phone or computer."
So yes, telcomms in the US have this info already.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 21, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Oh wow.... seriously.... that area wins for the most epic names ever.

Spread Eagle
Broad Cove
Dildo
Reids Room
Cummingers Pond
Little Ridge

In order to get to those places, you pass through, Hearts Content, Hearts Desire, Hearts Delight.
Old April 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Oh wow.... seriously.... that area wins for the most epic names ever.

Spread Eagle
Broad Cove
Dildo
Reids Room
Cummingers Pond
Little Ridge

In order to get to those places, you pass through, Hearts Content, Hearts Desire, Hearts Delight.
Yep and a little further down the road is Little Hearts Ease, where I went to school.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best Map Ever.

As to the "ZOMG APPLE IS ZE DEVIL" portion of this thread; It is way over hyped. Some people need tinfoil hats in this thread. I assume the same people also dont use Debit, Visa, vary their banking branch habits dont have SIN's, as well as IP bounce when they surf the net, right?

iPhones and Location: Let’s Not Get Hysterical. « Live in The Future. It's Starting Now.

Another media blow up over nothing.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 21, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

funny shit guys thanks. and of course apple is the devil ( there the ifade company ) he he
Old April 22, 2011, 06:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Best Map Ever.

As to the "ZOMG APPLE IS ZE DEVIL" portion of this thread; It is way over hyped. Some people need tinfoil hats in this thread. I assume the same people also dont use Debit, Visa, vary their banking branch habits dont have SIN's, as well as IP bounce when they surf the net, right?

iPhones and Location: Let’s Not Get Hysterical. « Live in The Future. It's Starting Now.

Another media blow up over nothing.
Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

In the case of Visa/Debit that is a personal choice, and in fact I use cash for 98% of my transactions. Banking transactions are also heavily regulated WRT personal privacy, and who can gain access to that information.

I expect... nay.... Demand!!! that all personal information gathering by non-governmental entities be opt-in, and more importantly, regulated to the fullest extent of the law WRT clairity, and informed consent.

If scuzzball marketers want my information they can damn well pay me for it. That's the reason why the only store "reward" cards I use are those which convert directly to cash.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP