Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2010, 07:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default iPhone resiliency ...!

So I dropped my iPhone 3GS in a toilet, by mistake, for about 15 seconds - don't ask how.

Immediately after fishing it out, I wiped it down and tried to turn it off. The thing just wouldn't respond.

I was in a rush - we were going out to the movie theater - so I left it "on" and put it on the kitchen table.

After the movie, The Town which is excellent by the way, we came back home to find my iPhone stuck at the login screen. A few buttons pushes here and there, and finally the unit turned off... and back on again, by itself.

I kept getting weird pop-ups like "this unit cannot be charged" and "this peripheral is not compatible with this unit" so I thought for sure this thing was a goner and rapidly made peace with it, entertaining the idea of buying an iPhone4.

I decided to do a "settings reset", the type that doesn't wipe data and media... and it's been working flawlessly ever since.

I guess I have to hold off buying the iPhone 4 a little longer

Old October 20, 2010, 07:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly don't understand how people drop their phones in toilets. Are some of those people that attached to their phone they can't go to the bathroom without it?
Old October 20, 2010, 09:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I honestly don't understand how people drop their phones in toilets. Are some of those people that attached to their phone they can't go to the bathroom without it?
The phone wasn't securely tucked in my shirt pocket - I wanted to take it out and put it on the counter before it fell, but mishandled it and dropped it in the bowl :(

Edit: I hope your weren't expecting a more bizarre explanation

Old October 20, 2010, 09:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
The phone wasn't securely tucked in my shirt pocket - I wanted to take it out and put it on the counter before it fell, but mishandled it and dropped it in the bowl :(

Edit: I hope your weren't expecting a more bizarre explanation

Sadly i was as i have heard all too many stories of people bringing it in there to do their business and it somehow fell into the bowl. Glad to hear your phone still works though.
Old October 20, 2010, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've dropped almost every phone I've owned in the toilet.

Why? Because when I take a shit, I use that as the time to call anyone I need to call.

I'm usually too touch and go to be able to have the time during the day to sit down and make phone calls - so I do it while I crap. Thats just how I do it, ok? :P

That being said: Next time you drop your phone in the toilet - just remove the battery as fast as you can, that will stop it from being ruined by liquid.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 20, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
just remove the battery as fast as you can, that will stop it from being ruined by liquid.
We got us a funny man. We are talking about the iPhone here.
But aside from that, it's nice to know that electronics can sometimes take a beating and still work.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I saw a 13 year old girl drop her blackberry into a 4' deep pool. She gasped, I looked, you could still see the damn thing on at the bottom of the pool. She stripped to her jean shorts and tshirt and jumped into the pool and grabbed it. It must have been under about 30 seconds. She came up, I pulled the battery out right away, and the thing still works after drying out.

I didn't expect that. Submerging is one thing, but added depth forces water into cracks even further.....
Old October 20, 2010, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This is also why all cellphones have a litmus strip in them, so the repair depot can tell if the phone has been in water.
Old October 20, 2010, 09:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I've dropped almost every phone I've owned in the toilet.

Why? Because when I take a shit, I use that as the time to call anyone I need to call.

I'm usually too touch and go to be able to have the time during the day to sit down and make phone calls - so I do it while I crap. Thats just how I do it, ok? :P

That being said: Next time you drop your phone in the toilet - just remove the battery as fast as you can, that will stop it from being ruined by liquid.
1. Talking on the phone while doing your business is disrespectful IMO. If your lady friends don't mind, good for you, but I couldn't bare talking to someone playing ass trumpet

2. Unless you have Philips screwdrivers, suction cups, and a whack load of other tool, taking an iPhone battery out is no easy feat :(

Old October 20, 2010, 11:52 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have been using a roots tuffskin case on my iPhone 3G for almost 2 1/2 years now and I have had plenty of scares and my phone to this day still works great. I have dropped my phone multiple times on carpet, concrete, grass, dirt you name it. I have also thrown my phone by accident across a room (its a long story).

The only other thing i have installed on my Iphone is a Zagg Invisible shield which has also helped prolong the life of my iPhone and when i do eventually decide to upgrade to an iPhone 4 (if i even have to) I will buy the exact same two accessories. Roots tuffskin case + Zagg Shield. $60 worth of accessories that are probably the only reason my phone still works.

Although the only place my phone has never gone before is liquid. I have never once dropped my phone in the toilet because I don't take it in the bathroom with me, If i do its because its in my jeans pocket but that is it.

I am pretty sure though they make a case called Otterbox which is suppose to be water resistant and drop proof as well but it is much bulkier in size.

On another note, apparently if you ever liquid damage your phone putting it in a bucket of rice is suppose to absorb all the water and dry out your phone. A few girls I am friends with swear by this method, one of them was texting while in the shower (who needs to text in the shower???) dropped her phone and than it quit working. She said she put it in a bucket of rice over night and it continued to work fine afterward.

This is the roots tuffskin case, they also make it for the iPhone 4 now as well.