Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2010, 08:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post

This is the roots tuffskin case, they also make it for the iPhone 4 now as well.
i would like to find something similar to that for my xperia x10.

Old October 22, 2010, 11:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Update...

My iPhone seems to have residual damage after all: the external speaker will no longer play sounds coming from games and videos... but the phone will ring, and speaker phone works (?!).

I am tempted to do a full reset & upgrade (effectively losing my jailbreak & unlock) to see if that doesn't do the trick, and worst comes to worst, I'll see what the Apple store can do for me...

Old October 28, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
My iPhone seems to have residual damage after all: the external speaker will no longer play sounds coming from games and videos... but the phone will ring, and speaker phone works (?!).

I am tempted to do a full reset & upgrade (effectively losing my jailbreak & unlock) to see if that doesn't do the trick, and worst comes to worst, I'll see what the Apple store can do for me...
Synth, what iPhone and firmware are you on right now?
Old October 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
Rookie

yea ive almost dropped it in a couple times myself
Crucial M4 128gb // 4TB Storage // Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W // Corsair 800D // 3x Samsung 225BW

Server:
Intel 920 @ 4.0 (Corsair A70) // X58 Sabertooth // Sapphire 5450 // Antec 750W //
Promise SATA300TX4 // Norco 450B
12GB Ram // 26TB Storage
Old October 29, 2010, 09:18 PM

My System Specs

It is quite wierd how many times I've heard people drop their iphones in the toilet. Although generally is is when they are trying to text while drink.
Old January 5, 2011, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i listen to music on mine when im in the shower so i leave it playing on the vanity counter. One day i grabbed my towel and the bottom dragged across the vanity and pushed the ipod off the counter. It bounced once on the toilet seat and in it went!

I don't talk on the can, but i don't think people would be upset if you texted/emailed them or were reading the news etc. Multi-tasking man!!
Old January 5, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hell i talked and ass trumpet all the time, and i too have dropped my phone in the bowl so i have learned to make sure i am very careful while doing so cause i am cheap and hate to replace things just for me being a Dumbo.
Old December 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post
I have been using a roots tuffskin case on my iPhone 3G for almost 2 1/2 years now and I have had plenty of scares and my phone to this day still works great. I have dropped my phone multiple times on carpet, concrete, grass, dirt you name it. I have also thrown my phone by accident across a room (its a long story).

The only other thing i have installed on my Iphone is a Zagg Invisible shield which has also helped prolong the life of my iPhone and when i do eventually decide to upgrade to an iPhone 4 (if i even have to) I will buy the exact same two accessories. Roots tuffskin case + Zagg Shield. $60 worth of accessories that are probably the only reason my phone still works.

Although the only place my phone has never gone before is liquid. I have never once dropped my phone in the toilet because I don't take it in the bathroom with me, If i do its because its in my jeans pocket but that is it.

I am pretty sure though they make a case called Otterbox which is suppose to be water resistant and drop proof as well but it is much bulkier in size.

On another note, apparently if you ever liquid damage your phone putting it in a bucket of rice is suppose to absorb all the water and dry out your phone. A few girls I am friends with swear by this method, one of them was texting while in the shower (who needs to text in the shower???) dropped her phone and than it quit working. She said she put it in a bucket of rice over night and it continued to work fine afterward.

This is the roots tuffskin case, they also make it for the iPhone 4 now as well.
Putting a wet phone in DRY rice will cause the rice to draw the moisture out FASTER! This is why some restaurants put a few grains of dry rice in the salt shakers, to prevent moisture and salt chunks.

The Otterbox is a company, they make cases for many devices. They make 3 different cases for the iPhone 3GS. Last spring I found a 3GS on the lawn during the spring thaw, turns out it had been there 2 months! IT was in the Defender case (the bad ass, but HUUUUUUGE case).

Rugged iPhone 3Gs Case, iPhone 3Gs Defender Series // OtterBox.com
Old December 13, 2011, 07:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydies View Post
IT was in the Defender case (the bad ass, but HUUUUUUGE case).
Biggest reason I don't use Otterbox anymore. They're excellent in terms of protection but sweet mother of god if I can't keep my iPhone in my pocket in my bloody combats...there's a serious issue with bulk I have a relatively cheap Speck case for my 4S right now and it's already survived a surprising number of oopsies. The case also seems to have a good fit on the phone preventing as much dust and crap collecting in the space between the phone and the case (I had a horrible problem with that roots case that was shown in the thread, basically had to vacuum the thing once a month).
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 13, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
Biggest reason I don't use Otterbox anymore. They're excellent in terms of protection but sweet mother of god if I can't keep my iPhone in my pocket in my bloody combats...there's a serious issue with bulk I have a relatively cheap Speck case for my 4S right now and it's already survived a surprising number of oopsies. The case also seems to have a good fit on the phone preventing as much dust and crap collecting in the space between the phone and the case (I had a horrible problem with that roots case that was shown in the thread, basically had to vacuum the thing once a month).
The new combats are really good for holding an iphone, including otterbox, if so desired.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about