Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2010, 09:24 AM
Allstar

Exclamation Not an Iphone fan...yet but this app is sick!

https://squareup.com/features

Stumbled upon this interesting concept and device the other day, and have been intrigued. Can just anyone accept a credit card payment using their iPhone and a mini-credit-card reader device plugged into the jack?

This is the scenario: I want to buy a homecoming dress for my daughter from a local seller on Craigslist. I don’t want to have to go get $100 in cash from the ATM, then drive to get the dress. What if I just went to get the dress, let the seller run my check card via her iPhone or Droid, and be done with the transaction and walk away with the dress?

Quote:
A similar need fueled the development of SquareUp, a San Francisco-based startup that developed not only an App for taking credit card payments via the iPhone, but the tiny “card reader” hardware device to go with it. The result? Anyone could potentially take a credit or debit card payment from you on the fly, as long as they had an internet connection.
...and its' FREE

CHEERS
Old September 19, 2010, 09:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

With all the security leaks and the fact its the least secure smartphone out there i would not trust any kind of confidential information such as my banking or credit card being used with an iphone.
Old September 19, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

do you read security policy at that website... it seems safe...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old September 19, 2010, 10:57 AM
MVP

letting "some guy" swipe your bank/credit card with their smartphone = dumb.
Old September 19, 2010, 11:25 AM

My System Specs

I am confused. It is plugged in to the headphone jack.. How the eff can that work?

EDIT: And it isn't free. 2.75% + 15 cent fee for each transaction.
Old September 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Its been around for a while ... and has never really worked all that well. Kevin Rose from digg is involved in it's development and they always talk about it on diggnation. It seems incredibly stupid to me. As mentioned the last thing I would want is some stranger swiping my credit card with his phone...

Last edited by Andy; September 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old September 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I am confused. It is plugged in to the headphone jack.. How the eff can that work?

EDIT: And it isn't free. 2.75% + 15 cent fee for each transaction.
Actually, from the picture, its not plugged into the headphone jack. Notice the 'home' button is next to the white thingy. The headphone jack would be up by his thumb, near the left of the picture.

I'm not sure what its plugged into. Its not the data/charge cable port, its not the headphone jack...

Something is fishy?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Actually, from the picture, its not plugged into the headphone jack. Notice the 'home' button is next to the white thingy. The headphone jack would be up by his thumb, near the left of the picture.

I'm not sure what its plugged into. Its not the data/charge cable port, its not the headphone jack...

Something is fishy?
It looks more like an iPod Touch instead of the iPhone.
Old September 19, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
It looks more like an iPod Touch instead of the iPhone.
That would explain it. I wasnt aware iPT had the jack at the bottom. Thanks

Still dont think I'm going to let some dude swipe my visa through his phone. Hell, store based machines are suspect enough...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 20, 2010, 06:04 AM
Allstar

All very good points. I will admit that I'm resisting the purchase of the iphone but I have the good fortune to wait this out until my term ending in June; by then I will have a better idea on which platform/phone to dive into. I will tell you though that Blackberry has turned me off since the latest software will not be released for the Storm phone ( a piece of junt ).

CHEERS