What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

iOS4 jailbreak + unlock user impressions

JMCD

New jailbreaks are out as of today GMT (10 Oct)

www.limera1n.com

I can confirm it works on my week 40 manufactured 4.1 firmware iPhone 4.

Ultrasn0w carrier unlock still does not work (yet) on any firmware after 4.0.2 however.
I would not use limerain if you plan on unlocking, as the way unlocking ability preservation works sometimes relies on older baseband. So if you're on 4.02 and upgrade to 4.1 to use geohot's limerain you might be stuck for a while. This is still good news for many people though :)

Hopefully the dev team's jailbreak will be right after 4.2, as they've now postponed their release.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I would not use limerain if you plan on unlocking, as the way unlocking ability preservation works sometimes relies on older baseband. So if you're on 4.02 and upgrade to 4.1 to use geohot's limerain you might be stuck for a while. This is still good news for many people though :)

Hopefully the dev team's jailbreak will be right after 4.2, as they've now postponed their release.

You're absolutely right. Its a bit confusing currently.

To clarify for everyone;

limera1n is only for 4.1 jailbreaking. As I said, ultrasn0w doesnt work for carrier unlock on 4.1 firmwares that use 2.1 baseband firmware. You can crack the 4.1 Firmware when updating to maintain old baseband and get a carrier unlock with Ultrasn0w, but if you get a factory phone with 4.1, you're euchered for now. They've said they have the 2.1 baseband broken, but havnt implemented it in a carrier unlock yet. Be patient.

If you want a carrier unlock, you should be at 4.0.2 (or earlier) and use Redsn0w to jailbreak, and ultrasn0w for the carrier unlock. Or do the above 4.1 update with the 4.02 baseband firmware mod.

Hope that has more clarity.

Jamula66

Have you guys seen whats happened with the Greenpois0n and Limera1n? SHAtter was meant to come out yesterday on the Greenpois0n update but before they started to share the new software Limera1n (mixed mod of previous breaks) came out meaning that if they put them both out apple would be able to kill two birds with one stone on the next firmware update. So Greenpois0n has been set back and so has SHAtter, which was meant to be some sort of jailbreaking holy grail as it is a hardware fault not a software one meaning no need to find a new breaker every update and apple would have to wait until the next gen to fix the issue.
So for now we are kind of stuck with the imperfect Limera1n.

JMCD

Have you guys seen whats happened with the Greenpois0n and Limera1n? SHAtter was meant to come out yesterday on the Greenpois0n update but before they started to share the new software Limera1n (mixed mod of previous breaks) came out meaning that if they put them both out apple would be able to kill two birds with one stone on the next firmware update. So Greenpois0n has been set back and so has SHAtter, which was meant to be some sort of jailbreaking holy grail as it is a hardware fault not a software one meaning no need to find a new breaker every update and apple would have to wait until the next gen to fix the issue.
So for now we are kind of stuck with the imperfect Limera1n.
Yeah, but I do think it's a good thing that they've held off. 4.2 Will likely be the last major update until 5.0 next summer with the next iPhone. Hopefully what this means is that the day apple releases 4.2 we will see a jailbreak immediately, or shortly after for our devices. For me, I'll stay on 4.01 until ultrasn0w is compatible with a newer version than 4.0x

Synth

Yeah, but I do think it's a good thing that they've held off. 4.2 Will likely be the last major update until 5.0 next summer with the next iPhone. Hopefully what this means is that the day apple releases 4.2 we will see a jailbreak immediately, or shortly after for our devices. For me, I'll stay on 4.01 until ultrasn0w is compatible with a newer version than 4.0x

Likewise. The carrier unlock is worth its weight in gold..!

bojangles

Limera1n is a bootrom jailbreak that cannot be fixed unless Apple issues hardware updates, however the untethered exploit can be patched, meaning that if you want to jailbreak your phone, you have to retether after every reboot of your phone.

Latest posts