Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2010, 02:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,411

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
New jailbreaks are out as of today GMT (10 Oct)

www.limera1n.com

I can confirm it works on my week 40 manufactured 4.1 firmware iPhone 4.

Ultrasn0w carrier unlock still does not work (yet) on any firmware after 4.0.2 however.
I would not use limerain if you plan on unlocking, as the way unlocking ability preservation works sometimes relies on older baseband. So if you're on 4.02 and upgrade to 4.1 to use geohot's limerain you might be stuck for a while. This is still good news for many people though :)

Hopefully the dev team's jailbreak will be right after 4.2, as they've now postponed their release.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2010, 07:27 AM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,479

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I would not use limerain if you plan on unlocking, as the way unlocking ability preservation works sometimes relies on older baseband. So if you're on 4.02 and upgrade to 4.1 to use geohot's limerain you might be stuck for a while. This is still good news for many people though :)

Hopefully the dev team's jailbreak will be right after 4.2, as they've now postponed their release.
You're absolutely right. Its a bit confusing currently.

To clarify for everyone;

limera1n is only for 4.1 jailbreaking. As I said, ultrasn0w doesnt work for carrier unlock on 4.1 firmwares that use 2.1 baseband firmware. You can crack the 4.1 Firmware when updating to maintain old baseband and get a carrier unlock with Ultrasn0w, but if you get a factory phone with 4.1, you're euchered for now. They've said they have the 2.1 baseband broken, but havnt implemented it in a carrier unlock yet. Be patient.

If you want a carrier unlock, you should be at 4.0.2 (or earlier) and use Redsn0w to jailbreak, and ultrasn0w for the carrier unlock. Or do the above 4.1 update with the 4.02 baseband firmware mod.

Hope that has more clarity.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2010, 09:31 AM
Mena's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hanover, Ontario
Posts: 454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
New jailbreaks are out as of today GMT (10 Oct)

www.limera1n.com

I can confirm it works on my week 40 manufactured 4.1 firmware iPhone 4.

Ultrasn0w carrier unlock still does not work (yet) on any firmware after 4.0.2 however.
Week 40? How can you tell what week your iPhone 4 is?
__________________
I am watching you.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,411

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Week 40? How can you tell what week your iPhone 4 is?
It's in the serial number somewhere I believe. I remember checking my 3gs and it was week 25.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old October 10, 2010, 12:11 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,479

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
It's in the serial number somewhere I believe. I remember checking my 3gs and it was week 25.
Digit 4&5
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2010, 03:30 AM
Jamula66's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 108

My System Specs

Default

Have you guys seen whats happened with the Greenpois0n and Limera1n? SHAtter was meant to come out yesterday on the Greenpois0n update but before they started to share the new software Limera1n (mixed mod of previous breaks) came out meaning that if they put them both out apple would be able to kill two birds with one stone on the next firmware update. So Greenpois0n has been set back and so has SHAtter, which was meant to be some sort of jailbreaking holy grail as it is a hardware fault not a software one meaning no need to find a new breaker every update and apple would have to wait until the next gen to fix the issue.
So for now we are kind of stuck with the imperfect Limera1n.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,411

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamula66 View Post
Have you guys seen whats happened with the Greenpois0n and Limera1n? SHAtter was meant to come out yesterday on the Greenpois0n update but before they started to share the new software Limera1n (mixed mod of previous breaks) came out meaning that if they put them both out apple would be able to kill two birds with one stone on the next firmware update. So Greenpois0n has been set back and so has SHAtter, which was meant to be some sort of jailbreaking holy grail as it is a hardware fault not a software one meaning no need to find a new breaker every update and apple would have to wait until the next gen to fix the issue.
So for now we are kind of stuck with the imperfect Limera1n.
Yeah, but I do think it's a good thing that they've held off. 4.2 Will likely be the last major update until 5.0 next summer with the next iPhone. Hopefully what this means is that the day apple releases 4.2 we will see a jailbreak immediately, or shortly after for our devices. For me, I'll stay on 4.01 until ultrasn0w is compatible with a newer version than 4.0x
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2010, 09:19 AM
Synth's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa-Hull
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Yeah, but I do think it's a good thing that they've held off. 4.2 Will likely be the last major update until 5.0 next summer with the next iPhone. Hopefully what this means is that the day apple releases 4.2 we will see a jailbreak immediately, or shortly after for our devices. For me, I'll stay on 4.01 until ultrasn0w is compatible with a newer version than 4.0x
Likewise. The carrier unlock is worth its weight in gold..!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old October 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
bojangles's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,683

My System Specs

Default

Limera1n is a bootrom jailbreak that cannot be fixed unless Apple issues hardware updates, however the untethered exploit can be patched, meaning that if you want to jailbreak your phone, you have to retether after every reboot of your phone.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS4 woes Synth iPhone & iPods 12 August 25, 2010 04:46 AM
iOS4 user impressions Synth iPhone & iPods 11 July 13, 2010 11:32 AM
Jailbreak not working? Goalieman077 iPhone & iPods 4 March 13, 2010 01:00 PM
iPod Touch 8gb: Any jailbreak methods yet?! Cheator Audio 6 November 4, 2008 06:32 PM
Sony 40" LCD TV KDL40S3000 - First Impressions from an average user Jamz Display Units 4 November 6, 2007 09:53 AM