Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
6GB/$30 is decent. AFAIK anyone can get that promo now, even if you already have a contract.
I downgraded to 500 megs for 20 bucks. I'm around wifi too much to ever come close to 6GB. Most Ive ever used (Traveling for business for a whole month) was 350megs. My average is around 170 megs.

Anyone that uses anything close to 6GB over the cellular network for data probably has their phone plugged in A LOT to charge it. Or I guess tethering a laptop (now that its an option) could do it too. That still means you're plugged in all the time.
Old August 8, 2010, 01:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I downgraded to 500 megs for 20 bucks. I'm around wifi too much to ever come close to 6GB. Most Ive ever used (Traveling for business for a whole month) was 350megs. My average is around 170 megs.

Anyone that uses anything close to 6GB over the cellular network for data probably has their phone plugged in A LOT to charge it. Or I guess tethering a laptop (now that its an option) could do it too. That still means you're plugged in all the time.
I think 1GB is more befitting. I've found on average, even with heavy usage, I'll be hitting 800 megs. That's with a lot of browsing on non-mobile websites, lots of pictures, videos, etc. I suppose if you limit your usage a wee bit, 500MB will just suffice. Anyhow, people also tether for their laptops (not possible on Telus, they can and will catch you. Someone got dinged with a $1000+ bill for doing it because their backend detects tethering).
Old August 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post

I do night security and tether a fair bit. I used 5.1GB last month, but if I weren't doing that I might use 200mb of just regular data on my phone. 6GB is good for tethering...no idea how anyone could do that otherwise.
Old August 9, 2010, 05:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
So easy, glad the unlocked worked as well. I love going to the states and popping in my US sim card. 9c/min calls and a card that doesn't expire for 18 months is pretty sweet compared to silly roaming fees.
Ok, a few questions about foreign SIMs:

- Where does one buy a SIM card (for the US)? Online, in-store in the US?
- If you buy a foreign SIM, it's to use foreign pay-as-you-go services right?
- For traveling in the states, what provider should I go with? Verizon?

I'm kinda bummed that I saw the jailbreak/unlock was available only COMING BACK from California a couple of days ago - I sure could of used it then. But I want to be prepared for my next trip.

Old August 9, 2010, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
Ok, a few questions about foreign SIMs:

- Where does one buy a SIM card (for the US)? Online, in-store in the US?
- If you buy a foreign SIM, it's to use foreign pay-as-you-go services right?
- For traveling in the states, what provider should I go with? Verizon?

I'm kinda bummed that I saw the jailbreak/unlock was available only COMING BACK from California a couple of days ago - I sure could of used it then. But I want to be prepared for my next trip.
You can pick SIM's up in phone stores in the US, or wal-mart even. Sometimes its actually cheaper to buy the pay-as-you-go crap phones from Wal-Mart just for the SIM and free minutes. Thats what I usually do when I go on business.

It doesnt HAVE to be pay as you go, if you were doing a multi-month trip, a plan may be a better option. Just be sure to tell the company up front you only need cellular service for X time period, to avoid penalties.

Providers are just like up here, you have to shop around. AT&T, Verizon, and probably a dozen other phone companies exist in major city centers. Do your homework online before your trip to get the best rate.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:16 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
6GB/$30 is decent. AFAIK anyone can get that promo now, even if you already have a contract.
What provider?
Old August 10, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think all the major ones offer it now.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

rogers/fido has the 30$ 6gb promo on atm for the iphone 4 launch
Old September 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
MVP

i did the Cydia and UltraSnow install yesterday, on my boss's iPhone 4 that he purchased down in the states(California). after i hooked up the WiFi, i put in an activated Telus micro SIM, did the software installs, and damn if it didn't ring 2 minutes later.
Old October 9, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

New jailbreaks are out as of today GMT (10 Oct)

www.limera1n.com

I can confirm it works on my week 40 manufactured 4.1 firmware iPhone 4.

Ultrasn0w carrier unlock still does not work (yet) on any firmware after 4.0.2 however.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about