What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

iOS4 jailbreak + unlock user impressions

Synth

Hey guys,

As you may well know, a recently discovered flaw in MobileSafari enables iPhone 4 users to jailbreak their phones simply by visiting a webpage designed to exploit the said flaw.

The Dev Team have also released a carrier unlock for this jailbreak.

Just an FYI: A new DMCA exemption was approved by the Library of Congress, specifically allowing jailbreaking, thus the links I have posted above SHOULD NOT be against forum rules.

----------------------------------------------

Now, on to user impressions...

The jailbreaking process is VERY straightforward: you simply navigate to the website cited above and agree to let Cydia make you life easier (as prompted on the browser's page). The process lasts less than 10 minutes.

After a reboot, you are ready to start using Cydia (the other app store).

If you wish to perform a carrier unlock on your iPhone, simply navigate to the "Search" tab within Cydia, and look up ultrasn0w (1.0-1). Install.

Up to this point, WIFI and 3G are unaffected by the jailbreak/unlock. There is no performance degradation. The official App Store is also usable and fully functional.

----------------------

Compatible Cydia apps with iOS4:

There are a couple of compatibility lists floating on the web - but right off the bat, my fav useful apps (Five icon dock, Remove Recents, SBSettings and WinterBoard) are fully functional.

----------------------

Conclusion:

For getting the most out of your iPhone, the latest jailbreak/unlock just might be the ticket. The process is easy, and very rewarding.

Cheers!

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... I don't know enough about cell phones to delete a link for jailbreaking.... AFAIC, jailbreaking is no different than putting tomato on a router, you own the phone.

Spikemaul

I jailbroke my iPod Touch as soon as I knew about the jailbreak. The jailbreak was the easiest one that I have ever done. My iPod Touch is a 3rd generation MC model so it's one of the hardest to jailbreak. The bad thing with this jailbreak is that you have to restore your device before jailbreaking and if your dumb like me and don't write all your contacts down you will lose them. I am now happily downloading all the great themes and apps.

lowfat

Staff member
I jailbroke my iPod Touch as soon as I knew about the jailbreak. The jailbreak was the easiest one that I have ever done. My iPod Touch is a 3rd generation MC model so it's one of the hardest to jailbreak. The bad thing with this jailbreak is that you have to restore your device before jailbreaking and if your dumb like me and don't write all your contacts down you will lose them. I am now happily downloading all the great themes and apps.

No you don't. I did my iPod Touch 3G MC w/ no issues. The only reason I did the JB was to get the multitasking and orientation lock that Apple decided not to let iPod touch users get. :angry2:

And shouldn't your iPod be syncing w/ your Contacts/address book on your PC? If I restore my iPod I don't loose a single thing.

Spikemaul

No you don't. I did my iPod Touch 3G MC w/ no issues. The only reason I did the JB was to get the multitasking and orientation lock that Apple decided not to let iPod touch users get. :angry2:

And shouldn't your iPod be syncing w/ your Contacts/address book on your PC? If I restore my iPod I don't loose a single thing.

I'm sorry.......It's recommended to restore before using this jailbreak. I don't sync my address/contacts from my pc to my iPod touch because I use my iPod touch as my "little black book".:whistle:

belgolas

Yup I went to jailbreakme.com and took like 5 minutes and was using my phone again. You don't have to restore as I didn't.

JMCD

So easy, glad the unlocked worked as well. I love going to the states and popping in my US sim card. 9c/min calls and a card that doesn't expire for 18 months is pretty sweet compared to silly roaming fees.

belgolas

If only data was cheap. I hate it so much. Why is it so much more expensive to download off a cell tower when I could download GBs from a free wifi hot spot??

JMCD

6GB/$30 is decent. AFAIK anyone can get that promo now, even if you already have a contract.

Latest posts