Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Score 1 for Apple and the Ipod touch! Tough little sucker.

So I've spent the last 2 days looking for my 3rd generation Ipod touch, which I assumed one of the kids had borrowed to play Angry Birds. I searched high and low grilled the kids mercilessly but still no Ipod. This was really upsetting me because I've taken up runnings and was using the Nike + Ipod function to track my runs.

Now the family and I are soon to be departing for the "Rock" to visit family this weekend and my wife had put some laundry in the machines to wash up some kids clothes before we left. Well she just called me to ask me to empty the dryer when low and behold in the dryer is my precious Ipod...yikes.

Well I was about to say a few final words to my running partner when I happened to press the power switch and well I'll be damned it started up no problems. Well not totally without problems it's displaying the wrong date and time and the screen has water under it. I may not last through the night but dang was I surprised by the crap kicking this thing has just survived. Here's a couple pics.
Attached Images

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old July 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would advise you to turn it off immediately until it is completely dry. It may just have a chance at surviving, but continuing to have electricity course through it can cause galvanic corrosion and kill it. It would be even better to take the battery out at this point, but its a job and a half to dissemble if you haven't before or don't have the proper tools.
Old July 8, 2010, 11:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to try to save it, power it off immediately and shove it in a bag of rice. It will attempt to soak up whatever moisture it can through the crack and may very well save your device.
Old July 8, 2010, 01:00 PM
MVP

Pelt: Here is a handy link for you. It will teach you how to take it apart and fix that Ipod Touch.

iPod Touch 3rd Generation Teardown - iFixit
Old July 8, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually found it very easy to take apart my iPhone to repair a broken power cord. The power button didn't work so I took my iPhone apart, removed the logic board and found that the power cable to the power button was broken. So I don't think it is that hard.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 8, 2010, 06:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the guide Mena, it helped get me started. I called some of the techs at work and they just stopped buy with a couple large packs of desiccant, that we use to dry out electronics on the ship. I'll leave it with them while I'm away in NFLD should be good and dry when I get back. One of the guys took it apart so that the moisture could evaporate entirely from the Ipod. I'm confident that it will work again.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old July 8, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think my USB stick has been through the wash..... oh, I dunno, 15 times?

But they don't have any active power (read: batteries) in them so it doesn't really matter unless it physically breaks.
Old July 10, 2010, 08:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I think my USB stick has been through the wash..... oh, I dunno, 15 times?

But they don't have any active power (read: batteries) in them so it doesn't really matter unless it physically breaks.
This is completely different then a USB stick...
Old July 11, 2010, 10:04 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
Thanks for the guide Mena, it helped get me started. I called some of the techs at work and they just stopped buy with a couple large packs of desiccant, that we use to dry out electronics on the ship. I'll leave it with them while I'm away in NFLD should be good and dry when I get back. One of the guys took it apart so that the moisture could evaporate entirely from the Ipod. I'm confident that it will work again.
Glad to help any way that I can.