Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 05:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default iOS4 user impressions

Hey guys, finally got my 3GS in working order with iOS4 and here are my impressions:

Pros:

- Creating folders to store apps is a god-sent, definitely helps un-clutter your home screen

- spell check is always welcome

- unified mail box is great for peeps with multiple accounts

- home screen wallpaper and the slightly nicer GUI is okay, but really, I don't care much about it

Cons:

- iOS4 on a 3GS is definitely slower than 3.1.3 - some lag is noticeable while in the home screen, when launching apps and when running games.

- Multitaski... huh, fast app switching is a JOKE. At one point, your "multitasking" window will have all the apps you ever used. So basically, you end up with your home screen(s) compressed into a tiny section that spans multiple pages wide. Useless.

- Lack of apps with iOS4 support. While iOS4 support doesn't mean much (since multitasking is a joke), there are very few apps with iOS4 support. Even big names, like Skype, who were supposed to be ready at the iPhone4 launch is still lagging behind.

All in all, do I feel it's a vital upgrade for 3GS owners? No.

Is it a good upgrade for 3GS owners? Maybe, if you can live with an OS that isn't as snappy as 3.1.3 on your hardware. But the upgrade doesn't feel like a giant leap forward just yet. Maybe in time, with more use...

Jailbreaking with the Spirit JB might prove to get you more bang for your buck...

Comments?

Old June 30, 2010, 05:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not to sound rash or anything but i don't really see how you can put spell check in as a pro seeing as most if not all smart phones have had, or suppose to have this feature for years...
Old June 30, 2010, 05:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Not to sound rash or anything but i don't really see how you can put spell check in as a pro seeing as most if not all smart phones have had, or suppose to have this feature for years...
Well, I prefer being late to the party than sh*t out of luck

Old June 30, 2010, 06:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
Hey guys, finally got my 3GS in working order with iOS4 and here are my impressions:

Pros:

- Creating folders to store apps is a god-sent, definitely helps un-clutter your home screen

- spell check is always welcome

- unified mail box is great for peeps with multiple accounts

- home screen wallpaper and the slightly nicer GUI is okay, but really, I don't care much about it

Cons:

- iOS4 on a 3GS is definitely slower than 3.1.3 - some lag is noticeable while in the home screen, when launching apps and when running games.

- Multitaski... huh, fast app switching is a JOKE. At one point, your "multitasking" window will have all the apps you ever used. So basically, you end up with your home screen(s) compressed into a tiny section that spans multiple pages wide. Useless.

- Lack of apps with iOS4 support. While iOS4 support doesn't mean much (since multitasking is a joke), there are very few apps with iOS4 support. Even big names, like Skype, who were supposed to be ready at the iPhone4 launch is still lagging behind.

All in all, do I feel it's a vital upgrade for 3GS owners? No.

Is it a good upgrade for 3GS owners? Maybe, if you can live with an OS that isn't as snappy as 3.1.3 on your hardware. But the upgrade doesn't feel like a giant leap forward just yet. Maybe in time, with more use...

Jailbreaking with the Spirit JB might prove to get you more bang for your buck...

Comments?
I find it nice and responsive compared to 3.1.3, though I did restore as new instead of from a backup. Have never bothered using the multitasking feature but the folders....*DROOL* Finally I can keep all of my crap on the home screen! Unfortunately iOS4 is the only way to go now unless you have SHSH's saved with Saurik's server - Apple stopped signing 3.1.3 and earlier - and unless there's a specific set of criteria met, there's no 3GS jailbreak available yet either.

It would be better if some of the devs actually got their **** together and upgraded their apps, hell the JB community has over 60% of apps now iOS4 ready...yet the paid devs? *COUGH*
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 30, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
I find it nice and responsive compared to 3.1.3, though I did restore as new instead of from a backup. Have never bothered using the multitasking feature but the folders....*DROOL* Finally I can keep all of my crap on the home screen! Unfortunately iOS4 is the only way to go now unless you have SHSH's saved with Saurik's server - Apple stopped signing 3.1.3 and earlier - and unless there's a specific set of criteria met, there's no 3GS jailbreak available yet either.

It would be better if some of the devs actually got their **** together and upgraded their apps, hell the JB community has over 60% of apps now iOS4 ready...yet the paid devs? *COUGH*
Still on 3.0.1 here. When I go into Cydia it says it has 3.0.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 on hash. Not sure how that's possible since I've never backed it up, or run the 3.1.x firmwires. Maybe I'll hold off on upgrading.
Old June 30, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Still on 3.0.1 here. When I go into Cydia it says it has 3.0.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 on hash. Not sure how that's possible since I've never backed it up, or run the 3.1.x firmwires. Maybe I'll hold off on upgrading.
Depends on what phone you have. 3.1.3 and below have been jailbreakable for a while, so is 4.0. Cydia is notoriously out of date on their updates. There is better sites to check for current tech to jailbreak and unlock your phone. We can talk about that in private if you want ;)

Ive enabled multitasking on my 3G (non S) via this same method. Its a dog on the 3G. I rolled it back out to the `normal` 3G firmware. Its still very slow, but tolerable.

Overall, imo, the changes arnt any better then 3.1.3 was.
Old July 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
Top Prospect

I've actually noticed a decrease in speed and responsiveness if my 32GB 3gs.... nothing goes as smoothly as it used to....
Old July 13, 2010, 05:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoth View Post
I've actually noticed a decrease in speed and responsiveness if my 32GB 3gs.... nothing goes as smoothly as it used to....

Ive gone back to 3.1.3 on my 3G. The extra features arnt worth the sluggish controls. I dont even notice the 'features' I'm missing in 4.0 to be honest. Actually, the one feature I do miss is the email changes. Oh well, atleast my phone is useable now.
Old July 13, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Everyone I've spoken to with a 3G says that iOS4 is slower to respond on their phones and laggy. However, everyone I know with a 3GS has been loving iOS4 with no issues concerning speed at all; including myself. I've noticed a much smoother and snappier experience overall on the new OS. Maybe that has something to do with me having a fairly new model of the phone? I'm not sure, but so far I've had no issues to speak of with it. A few minor problems with apps not being compatible at the start, but that was quickly resolved via app updates.
Old July 13, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does the 3GS have more ram then the 3G? I note that SBS usually shows only 20 megs free when NOT running any apps, which probably accounts for the sluggishness.