What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

iPhone 4 antenna problems

belgolas

I don't think I want an iPhone 4. I will stick with the 3GS till either a recall or iPhone 5.

Also please stop calling it the iPhone 4G as it doesn't have 4G technology in it.

Neolithium_Wpg

Ok well going through another stack of posts on various other forums....I think I might skip this iPhone, that goddamn glass back does not look like it can take the same punishment as the 3G/3GS could. I've literally had mine hit the floor a few more times this week at heights that exceeded those described by people having their phones shatter. Perhaps its time to look at a spiffy HTC down the road, I don't like how the new glass seems to be in terms of reliability.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Ok well going through another stack of posts on various other forums....I think I might skip this iPhone, that goddamn glass back does not look like it can take the same punishment as the 3G/3GS could. I've literally had mine hit the floor a few more times this week at heights that exceeded those described by people having their phones shatter. Perhaps its time to look at a spiffy HTC down the road, I don't like how the new glass seems to be in terms of reliability.

Sigh...is this just a case of where the complaints are being exaggerated, or is this product really a dud?

AkG

Everything nowadays gets blown out of proportion. But Id take a wait and see attitude with it. Where there is smoke there usually is fire. Whether its a forest fire or some kid with a cigarette lighter....remains to be seen. I personally am in no rush to go and buy a new phone just because it has the wifi's. :)~

chrisk

Folding Captain
Everything nowadays gets blown out of proportion. But Id take a wait and see attitude with it. Where there is smoke there usually is fire. Whether its a forest fire or some kid with a cigarette lighter....remains to be seen. I personally am in no rush to go and buy a new phone just because it has the wifi's. :)~

Haha I don't care I want an iPhone. Do you have one?

I am not up for an upgrade until late August anyways...at the very least, the 3GS will be cheap. The Evo is only CDMA and my next phone will be Bell and GSM (and I'll still get the Wifi's).

AkG

My 3yr contract on my old phone is up in Sept. So Im standing fast until then.

REALLY like the looks of the 3GS but the new Evo might be the way I go. :)

Neolithium_Wpg

Sigh...is this just a case of where the complaints are being exaggerated, or is this product really a dud?

It's hard to say in regards to the antenna issue, but I've literally seen 20+ pictures of freshly shattered iPhone 4's from people who've dropped then from varying height. (Of course, outside from nice big truck -> Pavement...that's asking for it, but really, a countertop!? My freakin 3G played slinky down the basement stairs and ended up with a scratch on the Apple logo. It strikes me odd that there are so many shattered 4th Gen, but really the previous didn't seem to be so apt to shatter.

Apparently the glass they used on the front and back is supremely scratch resistant- however in the pressure treating of said glass, it makes it more prone to actually shattering (AT LEAST IT DOESN'T SCRATCH FOLKS!) :blarg:

Edit - I have Rogers. No Evo for me :sad: Nexus one though.....is climbing the list of contenders. This would be easier for me if I didn't have an addiction to electronic gadgets and the constant need to tinker.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I don't know how reliable this site is, but they claim to have an Apple CSR memo:
1. Keep all of the positioning statements in the BN handy – your tone when delivering this information is important.
a. The iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. Our testing shows that iPhone 4’s overall antenna performance is better than iPhone 3GS.
b. Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain places will reduce its reception. This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world.
c. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 3GS, avoid covering the bottom-right side with your hand.
d. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 4, avoid covering the black strip in the lower-left corner of the metal band.
e. The use of a case or Bumper that is made out of rubber or plastic may improve wireless performance by keeping your hand from directly covering these areas.
2. Do not perform warranty service. Use the positioning above for any customer questions or concerns.
3. Don’t forget YOU STILL NEED to probe and troubleshoot. If a customer calls about their reception while the phone is sitting on a table (not being held) it is not the metal band.
4. ONLY escalate if the issue exists when the phone is not held AND you cannot resolve it.
5. We ARE NOT appeasing customers with free bumpers – DON’T promise a free bumper to customers.
Leaked: Apple’s internal iPhone 4 antenna troubleshooting procedures Boy Genius Report

No mention of a software fox for the antenna either.

Latest posts