Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2010, 09:41 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I understood it was a breach in AT&T's network, is that correct?
Old June 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I understood it was a breach in AT&T's network, is that correct?
tl;dr : Not even. Automated sending.

Hardly.

To be honest, it's even simpler than any hack you've seen. It didn't even involve social engineering.

The account management page of AT&T's website wants your SIM card's ID. Afterward, it asks for the password of your account, displaying the email (which was previously entered when you registered your device) in plain letters. The "attacker" just tried a lot of numbers before and after his ID (with an automated tool) and got the data.

Whoever at AT&T came up with this idea needs to get blamed. Not the guy who highlighted it. He could have done it manually, as well.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

Even the artists are teasing about this. LOL!!!

Belgolas is correct. No device is 100% save from ANYTHING. These things happen...they get fixed. It is a learning experience.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As much as I dislike Apple. This is just another bonehead move by those masters of boneheadness that we all know and "love" called AT&T. Could have been any device. Apple really doesn't deserve to be shat on....except for making AT&T the only carrier there for awhile (and forcing peeps to deal with those wankers).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 11, 2010, 10:06 AM
Allstar

Nobody has blamed Apple? Geez guys, read the thread. First post I say its AT&T's fault, hell its my first sentence in the thread. Both articles clearly point out AT&T. The only reason its here is because its the Apple platform this screw up is affecting. The title is probably the most damning thing, and it was a direct copy off the news story. Nobody needs to be defending Apple on this one, nobody is pointing fingers at them here.

Now for something on topic:
FBI Investigating iPad Breach (Update)

Last edited by El_Fiendo; June 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM.