Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2010, 04:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default US Feds deciding who should start Apple antitrust 'inquiry'

Looks like US regulators see some merit in complaints that Apple is big enough in the iPhone/iPad market to put the squeeze on competitors:
Apple may face antitrust scrutiny for FTC, Justice - NYPOST.com

Here are a few quotes on why the 'inquiry' is taking place:
Quote:
After years of being the little guy who used Washington to fend off Goliaths like Microsoft, Apple CEO Steve Jobs is about to learn what life is like when the shoe's on the other foot.
According to a person familiar with the matter, the Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission are locked in negotiations over which of the watchdogs will begin an antitrust inquiry into Apple's new policy of requiring software developers who devise applications for devices such as the iPhone and iPad to use only Apple's programming tools.
Quote:
In forcing computer programmers to choose developing an Apple-exclusive app over one that can be used on Apple and rival devices simultaneously, critics say Apple is hampering competition since the expense involved in creating an app will lead developers with limited budgets to focus on one format, not two. Generally, app developers are paid from a cut of the revenue generated when consumers buy the app.
This is not a full-out investigation, but I do think that this is the biggest signal yet that Apple is no longer the little guy, and is starting to become the MS of the smartphone market, despite RIM's dominance.

In any case, the rumblings are interesting...
Fold for team #54196
Old May 5, 2010, 05:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I still don't get why people would whine about Apple's business model like that... are they completely stupid or what?

If you decide to develop an app for the I* and want it published, well it was your choice to do so. Whining about this is about as logical as to sign a contract with a company stating that you will not use their technologies or their code if you go work somewhere else and then whine that after that you can't and don't understand why you are getting your butt sued.

It's just ridiculous.
Old May 5, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its one thing to say that from the beginning its another to switch mid stream AFTER peeps have paid money to get the tools needed. Its almost like bait and switch (though not really) and is making the developers CHOSE one or the other. IF they had been smart and "grandfathered in" existing developers there would have been no cause as the new developers would know what they were signing on for. Or even given a grace period of say a year or two.

IMHO its about damn time. The shite that Apple has done lately SHOULD result in a good swift kick to their pocket book.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 5, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This will be the best thing to happen to Apple in a long time if this happens. Apple needs to learn that it can't be a monopoly.

Lets face it Apple is pretty much forcing developers to either develop for Apple or the competitors. Most can't choose both.

I also wish you weren't forced to using iTunes to use of their devices.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 5, 2010, 06:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
This will be the best thing to happen to Apple in a long time if this happens. Apple needs to learn that it can't be a monopoly.

Lets face it Apple is pretty much forcing developers to either develop for Apple or the competitors. Most can't choose both.

I also wish you weren't forced to using iTunes to use of their devices.
It's not at all a monopoly, it's just their vision of the company. They want it that way. They don't want crappy software ports from other company, they don't want to go with businesses, they don't want retarded software especially with their standards: they have -their- perfect world and don't want it disturbed with anything else from other company.

Read again what I wrote. It's their choice to sign with them or not. Another analogy to make you better understand is if you go to a agancy who helps you patent an idea then whine that they own it and you don't anymore. It was your choice.

For Itunes if you don't like it, go look for alternatives in the MacPorts; you will find some for -sure-.
Old May 5, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Same could be said of MS back during their anti-trust case. OR Intel more recently. "Company Vision" does not and can not let you break the rules of society. As for "they dont want retarded software" lol....yeah right. The app store is 90+% retarded apps. Apple has made their money off retarded....CHEAP but retarded is a good way to describe the app store. Everything from fart apps to "I am rich" to TMZ.com apps. This crap was done to break competition plain and simple. How the hell does this HELP the enthusiast community...or society in general. Competition is a good thing.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 5, 2010, 07:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Same could be said of MS back during their anti-trust case. OR Intel more recently. "Company Vision" does not and can not let you break the rules of society. As for "they dont want retarded software" lol....yeah right. The app store is 90+% retarded apps. Apple has made their money off retarded....CHEAP but retarded is a good way to describe the app store. Everything from fart apps to "I am rich" to TMZ.com apps. This crap was done to break competition plain and simple. How the hell does this HELP the enthusiast community...or society in general. Competition is a good thing.
For the MS anti-trust case, it's far from what this is right now... it was quite ambiguous but still killed the browser market by doing so. I still think they were not right to release IE with their OS, but meh, the debate is still going on today.

I might have mispoken with the non retarded apps... for the I* series, I have to agree. Most of them are retarded even though they meet Apple's -requirement- for posting them (not to confuse with the word "standards" like I did before).
Old May 5, 2010, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not to mention that Apple can take your multi million dollar app business away from you at any moment they feel like it. There have been some good apps taken down or simply not allowed. This should not be allowed.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old May 5, 2010, 09:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Not to mention that Apple can take your multi million dollar app business away from you at any moment they feel like it. There have been some good apps taken down or simply not allowed. This should not be allowed.
Omfg... after all that you can't be serious

Contract - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old May 6, 2010, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sigh I am not an idiot like you think I am. No I think you are the idiot for not realizing how bad Apple is at these few things. They pretty much own the app market for mobile devices yet they are the most nazi company with it. You can create an app for the iPhone and if apple changes their policy or just feels like it they can take down your app even after approving it. That I think is wrong. Could you imagine if Microsoft just decided to not allow iTunes/quicktime to be on windows just because it has similar functionality to windows media. That is what Apple is doing to their hand held devices.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum