Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   iPhone & iPods (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/)
-   -   Iphone leak vid on Gizmodo ends with Jason Chen's house raided (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/31431-iphone-leak-vid-gizmodo-ends-jason-chens-house-raided.html)

EaGle1337 April 26, 2010 03:29 PM

Iphone leak vid on Gizmodo ends with Jason Chen's house raided

Police Seize Jason Chen's Computers - Iphone 4 leak - Gizmodo

chrisk April 26, 2010 03:53 PM

Interesting. They are pressing charges because Gizmodo paid for the lost phone if I understand correctly, and then posted a video:
"iPhone-gate:" Police Raid Gizmodo Editor's Home - Tech Talk - CBS News

I can possibly see charges related to buying stolen property, but this was not stolen but lost, and they did return it. As for the story that Gizmodo wrote (hence taking the computers), I am not sure what the editor did wrong here, other than piss Apple off.

sswilson April 26, 2010 04:04 PM

"Lost" property is supposed to be reported and turned into the police. By purchasing "lost" property they are at that point purchasing "stolen" goods as the original finder doesn't have the right to sell it until after the police have had time to allow the owner to claim it.

edit: I've no interest in cell phones, let alone apple phones so I haven't seen the video..... am I correct in assuming that they took it apart to check out what ics were involved? If so.... how would you feel if somebody first of all "bought" your "lost" car, but then to add insult to injury, started taking the engine apart to see how it worked before they turned it back in?

chrisk April 26, 2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 369161)
"Lost" property is supposed to be reported and turned into the police. By purchasing "lost" property they are at that point purchasing "stolen" goods as the original finder doesn't have the right to sell it until after the police have had time to allow the owner to claim it.

edit: I've no interest in cell phones, let alone apple phones so I haven't seen the video..... am I correct in assuming that they took it apart to check out what ics were involved? If so.... how would you feel if somebody first of all "bought" your "lost" car, but then to add insult to injury, started taking the engine apart to see how it worked before they turned it back in?

I have not seen the video either as I had little interest in the story. I am actually wondering what felony they committed that was serious enough to confiscate a journalist's computer. If buying the lost phone is theft, then that would be a good reason to press charges, as I doubt a journalist can steal and then cry 'its a story.'

Not a lawyer..just trying to understand whats up and your post put it in a clear manner :thumb:

Zero82z April 26, 2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 369161)

All that is true, but he did already return the iPhone before this raid even happened, so I don't know what the point of all this was altogether. Apple already got their property back, so I don't see how this accomplishes anything.

Andy April 26, 2010 04:21 PM

Also, to add fuel to the fire, Apple had two opportunities to retrieve the phone before anyone in the media got a hold of it. They failed to do so. It's a pretty messed up situation, and personally I believe Apple should suck it up, and use all this media coverage to improve their image, and officially announce the new phone. But it's Apple, and they suck. Simple as that. lol

Sushi Warrior April 26, 2010 05:05 PM

The whole search warrant is invalid. Journalists are not applicable to search warrants. Anything they find is void in court...

EaGle1337 April 26, 2010 05:17 PM

don't forget the fact that what jason knew of the phone was posted online.

sswilson April 26, 2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior (Post 369219)
The whole search warrant is invalid. Journalists are not applicable to search warrants. Anything they find is void in court...

Not sure where you are getting this from... journalists are not doctors, lawyers or clergy, they don't have any special standing under the law WRT confidentiality.

Sushi Warrior April 26, 2010 05:34 PM

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...sponse1_01.jpg
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...-response2.jpg