What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Iphone leak vid on Gizmodo ends with Jason Chen's house raided

Infiniti

Personally, I think Apple's the one doing something wrong. The phone was lost, but Jason didn't do anything wrong. In fact, he responded to the email from Apple politely, and agreed to return the phone with no other requests, even though they paid a hefty 5 grand for it.

What reason does Apple have to get a search warrant to get the phone back? Couldn't they have driven a rep up to Jason's place, and retrieved the phone without making a big deal? This probably gave the story more publicity, and probably hurt Apple more than it helped.

Sushi Warrior

What reason does Apple have to get a search warrant to get the phone back? Couldn't they have driven a rep up to Jason's place, and retrieved the phone without making a big deal? This probably gave the story more publicity, and probably hurt Apple more than it helped.

They already had the phone before the search warrant. They searched the house to gain evidence as to whether Jason went to the proper steps to try to return the phone to Apple and if he bought the phone knowing it was stolen.

Infiniti

They already had the phone before the search warrant. They searched the house to gain evidence as to whether Jason went to the proper steps to try to return the phone to Apple and if he bought the phone knowing it was stolen.
Oh my bad, guess I missed that part. :whistle:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Gentlemen, keep it civil and on topic please. I don't want to see a flame war starting here.

Infiniti

Oh my, SugarJ, you're a mod now? How long was I gone? Congrats! :thumb:

Anyway, what happened to Jason in the end anyway? Did he get his stuff back?

sswilson

Staff member
Found items are not the property of the person who finds it until after they've turned it into the police and it's remained unclaimed for a certain period of time. With that in mind, as soon as it was sold, it then became stolen property.

Soultribunal

Staff member
OKay Everyone, lets keep this thread on Track and keep the personal insults and the likes to themselves.

ST

Last edited:

Thund3rball

Nice seeing people reading < 2 lines and coming to those kind of conclusion :thumb:

Entertain me :haha:

Actually I read all the articles, thanks for the pointless assumption about me. :blarg: I have read other threads with your posts and it seems to me you simply like to argue and incite arguments, so I will bite just because I need a break from busting my ass renovating my bathroom.

I have been using various Apple products on a daily basis for about 10 years. I also like to keep up with the latest tech news on many fronts, so I am not just fanboying. So why do I think Apple is tyrannical, well in the case of OS3/4 and the iPhone I'll tell you. I won't get into anything else here.

1. Apple's mystical and inconsistent approval process for the App store. Standards? Policy? Pffft, right. An obvious moving target of personal opinion and Apple best interests on what is and isn't worthy. Hardly conducive for a healthy dev community.
2. Job's recent lock out of any Apps that are created using 3rd party dev tools. An obvious knee jerk reaction to Flash CS5.
3. Everything for your iPhone has to 100% go through Apple first. Why? What's so scary about the outside world? Oh ya... Apple doesn't control it all yet.
4. Apple's recent actions concerning the OS 4 prototype phone (topic of this thread). The Apple mantra summed up in one paranoid and hostile action.

Apple is obviously working towards a complete Gestapo brand of control over their users. IMHO sometime in the not so distant future Apple will abolish your coveted OS X (or whatever it is at the time) and all their hardware will run on some form of OS 3/4 (like what you have on the iPhone/iPad). Everything you do on that device will have to meet Apple's approval. You won't have any choice but to go through Apple for software or tools for the device. And if they catch you using it in a disapproving manner, they'll either brick it or simply lock out whatever it is you are doing with an update (for your protection of course).

Sorry, my fondness for Apple and its products is seriously waning. I am more keen on open standards and a free market, not Cupertino's knee jerk decisiveness telling users and developers how, when and where to use an Apple product... or else!

belgolas

Well it looks like nothing legally will happen to Jason Chen. Although Jason possible did a felony. According to California law the person who found the "lost" phone was suppose to make every effort to find the rightful owner. Well the guy didn't. Apparently Apple called the bar seeing if the phone was there.

So the guy didn't make an effort. So person who found it broke the law right there. Now when he sold the stolen phone for $5000 it moved from a simply crime to a felony. The persons who sold it and bought it could be charged with a felony.

Although currently Apple is not doing anything. Most likely because they want this to die off and everyone to forget about it.

These guys broke the law and should pay for it.

But then again it is just a phone not CIA documents and it is coming out in 2 months, but then it is the law.

What do you guys think?

Latest posts