Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I read the last 2 pages because I haven't had the time yesterday and I really can't beleive that you guys are still arguying and comparing that thing with a computer

Talk about a waste of time and drive space with uselessness.

It's like comparing a shinny toaster with a oven and whining about the toaster not being able to bake a turkey

Keep writing it's free entertainment for me
If they price it like a computer it will be compared to a computer. If they want to sell "less" than a computer, they should price it less than a computer.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Actually, they do actually have toaster ovens that are mini ovens and cook via convection rather then the conventional method, i'm just sayin.

It's still a toaster: Canadian Tire - Black & Decker KitchenTools Convection Toaster Oven customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
Well that thing would be the best analogy for a the ipad actually; instead of just being a plain toaster (information appliance for the analogy), well it's one that can do more than one thing. Which is like the toaster/mini oven you linked :P

It can do a lot of 'smaller' things well but is not real 'oven' or a one trick pony.

Thanks for that.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
If they price it like a computer it will be compared to a computer. If they want to sell "less" than a computer, they should price it less than a computer.
That makes no sense whatsoever.

So a house phone with a 500$ price tag (or anything electronic with one) would be compared to a computer from your pov?

Then why not compare it to a 500$ car and start arguying that the car can bring you to a physical place and not the ipad?

Nice one.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well tell me why everywhere i look it is called iPad Tablet PC. Hell the processor it has is classified as a computer processor.
Apple A4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old April 7, 2010, 05:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

There's a guy in this thread who plans on using it in a situation where a computer is typically used. Probably one reason for the comparison.....
Fold for team #54196
Old April 7, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever.

So a house phone with a 500$ price tag (or anything electronic with one) would be compared to a computer from your pov?

Then why not compare it to a 500$ car and start arguying that the car can bring you to a physical place and not the ipad?

Nice one.
No, the iPad attempts to perform most functions that a computer does, but crippled. Why would you pay the same as a laptop for a computing device (no matter what way you put it, it is a computer) that does less? Don't throw in all this other , the iPad IS a computer. No other way to put it. It's not a cell phone, it's not a PMP, it is a crippled laptop with an oversized price tag.

IMO things will change a lot as soon as other tablets start being released. HP Slate and others look promising.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well tell me why everywhere i look it is called iPad Tablet PC. Hell the processor it has is classified as a computer processor.
Apple A4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't know what kind of uninformed guy/girl/usual wiki freak actually wrote that part of the article, but this is just plain wrong.
Having that proof to your argument makes that argument pointless.

I will try to change it later if I have time (too much work right now to do).

For the A4, you are kidding right?

You realise that almost any chip on the market right now that could be used as a cpu could be "classified" a computer processor?
That argument then makes no sense also.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
No, the iPad attempts to perform most functions that a computer does, but crippled. Why would you pay the same as a laptop for a computing device (no matter what way you put it, it is a computer) that does less? Don't throw in all this other , the iPad IS a computer. No other way to put it. It's not a cell phone, it's not a PMP, it is a crippled laptop with an oversized price tag.

IMO things will change a lot as soon as other tablets start being released. HP Slate and others look promising.
Exactly, its not a cell phone, it's not a mp3 player, it's not a video player, it's not a calculator and it is not a computer also ;)

I'm pretty sure here that's it's either a language barrier problem or a blatant will to not understand something on your side if you are still arguying that it's a computer.

I know most of you are hardware guys (as in computer hardware) and some of you are pretty much limited to it, but you have to open a bit more your mind and see what that thing really is as an entity, not just a vulgar amalgam of computer/electronic parts that are either not the best or fastest on the market.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Here's a bunch of places classifying as well as a TABLET PC
Apple announces ?iPad? touchscreen tablet - Consumer tech- msnbc.com
Apple iPad (64GB, 3G) Tablet reviews - CNET Reviews
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPa...led,10070.html
The Apple iPad: starting at $499 -- Engadget
Apple 'iPad' Tablet to Arrive in 2010 -- Analyst - PCWorld
iPad tablet Shopping store
Apple Announces iPad Tablet Computer | Mac|Life

So tell me, how is this not classified as a tablet pc if the entire tech world is calling it one?
Old April 7, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ipad tablet pc from apple - Google Search
apple even says it will do things no tablet pc or notebook can. make your own judgement on what it is.
i have never thought of it as anything else but a simple tablet pc. jmo