Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

    
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I read the last 2 pages because I haven't had the time yesterday and I really can't beleive that you guys are still arguying and comparing that thing with a computer

Talk about a waste of time and drive space with uselessness.

It's like comparing a shinny toaster with a oven and whining about the toaster not being able to bake a turkey

Keep writing it's free entertainment for me
If they price it like a computer it will be compared to a computer. If they want to sell "less" than a computer, they should price it less than a computer.
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC
  #52 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:29 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Actually, they do actually have toaster ovens that are mini ovens and cook via convection rather then the conventional method, i'm just sayin.

It's still a toaster: Canadian Tire - Black & Decker KitchenTools Convection Toaster Oven customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
Well that thing would be the best analogy for a the ipad actually; instead of just being a plain toaster (information appliance for the analogy), well it's one that can do more than one thing. Which is like the toaster/mini oven you linked :P

It can do a lot of 'smaller' things well but is not real 'oven' or a one trick pony.

Thanks for that.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #53 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:31 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
If they price it like a computer it will be compared to a computer. If they want to sell "less" than a computer, they should price it less than a computer.
That makes no sense whatsoever.

So a house phone with a 500$ price tag (or anything electronic with one) would be compared to a computer from your pov?

Then why not compare it to a 500$ car and start arguying that the car can bring you to a physical place and not the ipad?

Nice one.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #54 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:34 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,584

My System Specs

Default

Well tell me why everywhere i look it is called iPad Tablet PC. Hell the processor it has is classified as a computer processor.
Apple A4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  #55 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:36 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,401

My System Specs

Default

There's a guy in this thread who plans on using it in a situation where a computer is typically used. Probably one reason for the comparison.....
__________________
Fold for team #54196
  #56 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:37 PM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever.

So a house phone with a 500$ price tag (or anything electronic with one) would be compared to a computer from your pov?

Then why not compare it to a 500$ car and start arguying that the car can bring you to a physical place and not the ipad?

Nice one.
No, the iPad attempts to perform most functions that a computer does, but crippled. Why would you pay the same as a laptop for a computing device (no matter what way you put it, it is a computer) that does less? Don't throw in all this other , the iPad IS a computer. No other way to put it. It's not a cell phone, it's not a PMP, it is a crippled laptop with an oversized price tag.

IMO things will change a lot as soon as other tablets start being released. HP Slate and others look promising.
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC
  #57 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:45 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well tell me why everywhere i look it is called iPad Tablet PC. Hell the processor it has is classified as a computer processor.
Apple A4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't know what kind of uninformed guy/girl/usual wiki freak actually wrote that part of the article, but this is just plain wrong.
Having that proof to your argument makes that argument pointless.

I will try to change it later if I have time (too much work right now to do).

For the A4, you are kidding right?

You realise that almost any chip on the market right now that could be used as a cpu could be "classified" a computer processor?
That argument then makes no sense also.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #58 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
No, the iPad attempts to perform most functions that a computer does, but crippled. Why would you pay the same as a laptop for a computing device (no matter what way you put it, it is a computer) that does less? Don't throw in all this other , the iPad IS a computer. No other way to put it. It's not a cell phone, it's not a PMP, it is a crippled laptop with an oversized price tag.

IMO things will change a lot as soon as other tablets start being released. HP Slate and others look promising.
Exactly, its not a cell phone, it's not a mp3 player, it's not a video player, it's not a calculator and it is not a computer also ;)

I'm pretty sure here that's it's either a language barrier problem or a blatant will to not understand something on your side if you are still arguying that it's a computer.

I know most of you are hardware guys (as in computer hardware) and some of you are pretty much limited to it, but you have to open a bit more your mind and see what that thing really is as an entity, not just a vulgar amalgam of computer/electronic parts that are either not the best or fastest on the market.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #59 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:53 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,584

My System Specs

Default

Here's a bunch of places classifying as well as a TABLET PC
Apple announces ?iPad? touchscreen tablet - Consumer tech- msnbc.com
Apple iPad (64GB, 3G) Tablet reviews - CNET Reviews
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPa...led,10070.html
The Apple iPad: starting at $499 -- Engadget
Apple 'iPad' Tablet to Arrive in 2010 -- Analyst - PCWorld
iPad tablet Shopping store
Apple Announces iPad Tablet Computer | Mac|Life

So tell me, how is this not classified as a tablet pc if the entire tech world is calling it one?
  #60 (permalink)  
Old April 7, 2010, 05:54 PM
gingerbee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 6,824

My System Specs

Default

ipad tablet pc from apple - Google Search
apple even says it will do things no tablet pc or notebook can. make your own judgement on what it is.
i have never thought of it as anything else but a simple tablet pc. jmo
__________________
Fav quote "One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret." Ronin Harris
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipad!!! kendallcschm Mac 108 April 8, 2010 10:09 PM
Will it Blend, iPad Arinoth Off Topic 17 April 7, 2010 02:53 PM
Apple Ipad Killer The U1 Hybrid iPad from Lenovo Death_Adder Press Releases & Tech News 6 February 5, 2010 05:25 AM
This is ridiculous.. tao5269 Off Topic 3 September 28, 2008 07:58 AM