Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its crap compared to a mp3 player or ebook reader or smart phone (for surfing the web)...which is what the main uses of this thing are (for most people).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 6, 2010, 08:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Oh dear....do a Google news search for "ipad issues". many reports from legit sources of overheating (causing a wait time to cool down) and poor wireless performance (Apple's solution apparently is to reboot the iPad).

If you are intent on getting one, I would wait until these issues bear themselves out with real fixes, or a new revision.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 6, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Why is everyone saying the battery life is bad? Sure it is not as good as a kindle but it has 10 hours of battery as tested by reviewers. That is more than a net book or a laptop.
Uh, a lot of netbooks and CULV can get over 10 hours of battery life. Are you really going to use it for 10 hours without having access to a plug? Again for your use, the iPad is the worst possible choice ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Oh dear....do a Google news search for "ipad issues". many reports from legit sources of overheating (causing a wait time to cool down) and poor wireless performance (Apple's solution apparently is to reboot the iPad).

If you are intent on getting one, I would wait until these issues bear themselves out with real fixes, or a new revision.
Overheating? iPhone 3GS all over again? Let's all carry a ticking time bomb around! Seriously, when I used it at the Apple Store, it didn't feel hot.
Old April 6, 2010, 08:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Overheating? iPhone 3GS all over again? Let's all carry a ticking time bomb around! Seriously, when I used it at the Apple Store, it didn't feel hot.
Of course it wont, it was probably plugged in, bypassing its battery
Old April 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Not haters...just skeptics.
IF you think its a good fit....go for it.
Whenever someone disagrees with an Apple advocate the result is that they are obviously just a blind hater with absolutely no idea why.

This is tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
You seem to have your mind made up, so I hope the iPad works well for you and you don't regret your purchase. Don't write off my opinion as 'PC guy hates Mac' though, as I just foresee some significant issues. I know that when I went to university, a USB or floppy drive was key to sharing resources and getting work done, and if you want to be sharing with your classmates, you need to make it easy for them to do so or they just won't share resources with you.
As above, you shouldn't have to worry about being labeled a "hater" just because you pointed out its OBVIOUS defects.

This too, is tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
So with $200 worth of accessories and crap that you have to carry around, an iPad can approach the level of functionality that a netbook already has built in. Now your argument really doesn't make sense. Why go through the hassle instead of just getting something that has all the features you need right out of the box?

That's ridiculous.
Yes, especially since by the time you have a keyboard, add on usb adapter, and God-know-what-else-needed to add basic functionality to the device it's going to be hell to carry.

Since when can you argue the "10 inch portability" argument when you've already committed to packing around a full size keyboard for functionality?

With the price tag of the iPad, plus all the price tag of all the accessories you want to buy you could get yourself a decent 15 or 17 inch laptop with integrated usb, keyboard, wireless N, G, and bluetooth.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gentlemen, can we stop bickering about the thing at least until it's released in Canada, please?

This argument reminds me of the Fermi launch for some reason.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Gentlemen, can we stop bickering about the thing at least until it's released in Canada, please?
No.
Old April 7, 2010, 03:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Off topic a bit, but you cant seriously be comparing this to a half decent netbook.

I have an HP mini with an HT enabled Atom 230 (i think thats it) and its a great machine. Streams 720p video flawlessly to my tv over the home network, plays basic games, and the LED monitor is awesome. The battery life on it is spectacular and 92% of a standard keyboard isnt that hard to work with. Mind you I did throw a 2gb stick of ddr2 and windows 7 on it. But for its intended purpose i cannot forsee this $600 ipad being a better machine then my 350 dollar netbook.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Off topic a bit, but you cant seriously be comparing this to a half decent netbook.

I have an HP mini with an HT enabled Atom 230 (i think thats it) and its a great machine. Streams 720p video flawlessly to my tv over the home network, plays basic games, and the LED monitor is awesome. The battery life on it is spectacular and 92% of a standard keyboard isnt that hard to work with. Mind you I did throw a 2gb stick of ddr2 and windows 7 on it. But for its intended purpose i cannot forsee this $600 ipad being a better machine then my 350 dollar netbook.
I read the last 2 pages because I haven't had the time yesterday and I really can't beleive that you guys are still arguying and comparing that thing with a computer

Talk about a waste of time and drive space with uselessness.

It's like comparing a shinny toaster with a oven and whining about the toaster not being able to bake a turkey

Keep writing it's free entertainment for me
Old April 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I read the last 2 pages because I haven't had the time yesterday and I really can't beleive that you guys are still arguying and comparing that thing with a computer

Talk about a waste of time and drive space with uselessness.

It's like comparing a shinny toaster with a oven and whining about the toaster not being able to bake a turkey

Keep writing it's free entertainment for me
Actually, they do actually have toaster ovens that are mini ovens and cook via convection rather then the conventional method, i'm just sayin.

It's still a toaster: Canadian Tire - Black & Decker KitchenTools Convection Toaster Oven customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
Closed Thread