Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2010, 05:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Have fun with your information appliance that has wifi that is 1/7th the speed of an iPhone..... and that's Wireless N....

I don't (and I mean DON'T) understand what the hell you are trying to say with your "hipster" thing. Are you trying to say "all the cool kids use it so you should too"?

Is that really the best reason to buy it you can come up with? Don't try to justify your future purchase to me or anyone else here, just buy one and go show everyone how cool you are because you bought an Apple product.
*headesk*

No...

I was just thinking like the average apple's customer (aka hipsters).

I don't plan to buy one, I don't have 500$ to waste on something like that even if that would make heck of a nice ereader... I prefer by -far- paper books and I would have no use for it else than that.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Apple is getting a tad to popular for the "hipster" crowd. Add in a soft economy and even "douchenozzle, laite sipping emo metrosexuals" don't have as much coin as they used to. If the market is saturated w/ macbooks, ipods, iphones as the market IS.....it will fail as soon as the reality distortion field effect wears off. IF you own the laptop, mp3 player AND phone...why would you get the 4th?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 6, 2010, 05:46 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I can see some early adopters buying this because its Apple.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 6, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see this being popular even by "hipster" standards.... maybe the 30-something gadget gurus and social network addicts but NOT hipsters.

My friend owns a MB Pro, he bought it to look cool. He thinks the iPad is the dumbest thing ever. I can picture the Apple-kids hanging out, kid walks up "Hey look I bought an iPad! Am I cool too?" "Wow are you dumb I like Apple but not enough to buy one of those - GTFO".

Or something like that. I just think the bad rep FAR outways any reviews bought out by Apple (seriously, compare early reviews to normal reviews - much different). It will sell ~1.5M units this year I bet, but Apple was predicting 6-7M...
Old April 6, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I don't see this being popular even by "hipster" standards.... maybe the 30-something gadget gurus and social network addicts but NOT hipsters.

My friend owns a MB Pro, he bought it to look cool. He thinks the iPad is the dumbest thing ever. I can picture the Apple-kids hanging out, kid walks up "Hey look I bought an iPad! Am I cool too?" "Wow are you dumb I like Apple but not enough to buy one of those - GTFO".

Or something like that. I just think the bad rep FAR outways any reviews bought out by Apple (seriously, compare early reviews to normal reviews - much different). It will sell ~1.5M units this year I bet, but Apple was predicting 6-7M...
Considering how 300k was sold already, it'll be well above your 1.5M estimate. I'm guessing say 5M units. I think this is one of those things that we say in Chinese "Sam Fun Jong Yeet Do."

@Chris. Most of the people that bought an iPad are fanboys.

Most of iPad buyers were Apple 'fanboys,' says survey - AfterDawn
Old April 6, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's one of those things that's gonna end up in landfills before the battery runs out.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well this product isn't for any of you guys but I sure like it. For me I don't have a laptop and I don't need a laptop as I never found a use for one as my smart phone does almost everything I want on the go. But now that I am going to college I will need a portable device to type on.

So my options right now are fairly limited for cheap devices.

I can get a cheap netbook, a tablet, or an iPad.

A cheap netbook may be cheaper but you get a crappy cramped keyboard that is not fun to use. You get such a small screen that using a full sized OS is not an enjoyable experience. And the worst of all it is extremely slow to use. So the net book option is out of the question unless I can get a used full sized laptop.

O.k. now I could go for a tablet but then you run into many of the problems stated above. Slow and a full sized OS simply does not work.

Now lets look at the iPad. With a stand and a FULL sized keyboard it is enjoyable to type on. It has a beautiful screen with the BY FAR the best work software on the go for that size of screen. IT is very fast. I don't know why any body would say other wise. It has more than enough batter life. 10 hours is a long time and yes it DOES get ten hours.

Now the iPad doesn't have flash so that is a small minus as I don't go to many sites that need flash and if I do it can wait till I get home to use my beast of a machine. It also can't do multitasking but it is already jail broken so multitasking will come so no minus there plus it is rumored that apple will include multitasking in iPhone OS 4.0. It also doesn't have a camera but I will always keep my phone with me so that doesn't matter.

The battery last longer than my phone and it can do more. There are hundreds of thousands of apps that work on it and over 2000 apps right now design for it and MANY more coming.

I also believe this is BY FAR the best e-book reader as it is not hard on the eyes and has colour and is very fast. One thing that kept me away from the kindle is that it is to dam slow. This is much better to read your kid a book in colour or read your kid a comic book than a black and white kindle. Plus it can do more.

Why would I ever by a kindle now? Why would I ever buy a @$^&&* almost unusable netbook now? The iPad is a great device and I will be getting one. It CAN do everything I WANT on the go and do it better than any other cheap device and do more at the same time.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 6, 2010, 06:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well this product isn't for any of you guys but I sure like it. For me I don't have a laptop and I don't need a laptop as I never found a use for one as my smart phone does almost everything I want on the go. But now that I am going to college I will need a portable device to type on.

So my options right now are fairly limited for cheap devices.

I can get a cheap netbook, a tablet, or an iPad.

A cheap netbook may be cheaper but you get a crappy cramped keyboard that is not fun to use. You get such a small screen that using a full sized OS is not an enjoyable experience. And the worst of all it is extremely slow to use. So the net book option is out of the question unless I can get a used full sized laptop.

O.k. now I could go for a tablet but then you run into many of the problems stated above. Slow and a full sized OS simply does not work.

Now lets look at the iPad. With a stand and a FULL sized keyboard it is enjoyable to type on. It has a beautiful screen with the BY FAR the best work software on the go for that size of screen. IT is very fast. I don't know why any body would say other wise. It has more than enough batter life. 10 hours is a long time and yes it DOES get ten hours.

Now the iPad doesn't have flash so that is a small minus as I don't go to many sites that need flash and if I do it can wait till I get home to use my beast of a machine. It also can't do multitasking but it is already jail broken so multitasking will come so no minus there plus it is rumored that apple will include multitasking in iPhone OS 4.0. It also doesn't have a camera but I will always keep my phone with me so that doesn't matter.

The battery last longer than my phone and it can do more. There are hundreds of thousands of apps that work on it and over 2000 apps right now design for it and MANY more coming.

I also believe this is BY FAR the best e-book reader as it is not hard on the eyes and has colour and is very fast. One thing that kept me away from the kindle is that it is to dam slow. This is much better to read your kid a book in colour or read your kid a comic book than a black and white kindle. Plus it can do more.

Why would I ever by a kindle now? Why would I ever buy a @$^&&* almost unusable netbook now? The iPad is a great device and I will be getting one. It CAN do everything I WANT on the go and do it better than any other cheap device and do more at the same time.
You are sitting in a college lab or library, typing on your iPad and somebody says "I have a minute....here are yesterday's notes" on a USB drive....
Fold for team #54196
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about with "cheap netbooks". My $200 Lenovo S10 has a better keyboard than an iPad. Touch screen keyboards DO NOT WORK anything like a physical keyboard.

And as for that "on-the-go" editing software.... it doesn't support very much formatting and you can't print from it.

I don't have time for a full response now, I'll update this in a while.
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The iPad's battery lasts longer than your phone?! What smartphone are you using?!

Have you tried typing on the iPad? I tried it and don't like it. When you're copying notes, I'm sure you'd rather take a netbook and its crampness over the iPad. Oh and my friend mentioned this. No OS = No Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.

Based on what you said, a CULV laptop is right for you.

Chris got that part down too. No USB = useless in school

Last edited by geokilla; April 6, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Closed Thread