Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

    
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the product as you'll find time and time against most hardware enthusiast don't want to spend their money on what they believe is novelty systems (Macs, apple products etc). What is uncalled for is saying others in here (especially if its more then one person and i dunno a reviewer/mod) dont have a clue what they are talking about or aren't well informed.

Calling people idiots because they dont share your view on something is not exactly the most mature and appropriate thing to do on a forum thats seen some members lately permanently or temporarily banned for being disrespectful to other members,reviewers or moderators.
Dude, read again what I wrote. If I was not clear or if you interpreted what I wrote wrong because I have trouble making up good sentence in english, well I can't do much about it.

As I will say again, most people think that lil thing is actually a computer, it is NOT. It's an information appliance and since most people who have a bad opinion about it compare it with computer, I said that most of them either had no clue or were misinformed.

And if you think what I wrote is bad, at -least- read the first post again... what did he call the people who are/will buy it?


I know there's a lot of people who want to see me banned around but your effort in doing so is pointless for that one, what I wrote is correct.


Here if you or anyone don't know what an information appliance is and want to educate themselves: Information appliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #12 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 04:30 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,319
Default

Sorry dude....but "best ebook reader"? I dont think so. I agree that is the best use for it....but that is NOT saying much.
A) Its a LCD screen
b) Its battery life sucks
c) Its heavy for a ebook reader
d) if Frakin' espensive for a ebook reader!

Compare and contrast with a more typcial ebook reader:
E-Ink screen thus easier on the eyes
better battery life (9000+ page turns and it dont matter how long a page is displayed)
CHEAPER

Hell for the cost of the iTampon you can get a kick ass iRex iLiad 2nd gen book reader. OR two (almost) Kindles or Two B&N Nook readers or a crap load of cheaper smaller screen'ed e-ink readers. Hell i picked up a 5" e-ink one for $120 :)

The iPad is not supposed to be a ebook reader first and foremost. It was supposed to be a TABLET PC....a tablet PC that cant multitask, has no USB ports, and is expensive for the amount of power you get.

YMMV but I'd wait for gen 2 to come out before jumping onto that boat.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 04:50 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sorry dude....but "best ebook reader"? I dont think so. I agree that is the best use for it....but that is NOT saying much.
A) Its a LCD screen
b) Its battery life sucks
c) Its heavy for a ebook reader
d) if Frakin' espensive for a ebook reader!

Compare and contrast with a more typcial ebook reader:
E-Ink screen thus easier on the eyes
better battery life (9000+ page turns and it dont matter how long a page is displayed)
CHEAPER

Hell for the cost of the iTampon you can get a kick ass iRex iLiad 2nd gen book reader. OR two (almost) Kindles or Two B&N Nook readers or a crap load of cheaper smaller screen'ed e-ink readers. Hell i picked up a 5" e-ink one for $120 :)

The iPad is not supposed to be a ebook reader first and foremost. It was supposed to be a TABLET PC....a tablet PC that cant multitask, has no USB ports, and is expensive for the amount of power you get.

YMMV but I'd wait for gen 2 to come out before jumping onto that boat.
The tablet was rumors and AGAIN, it's not a table PC... get your minds off that thought! It's an information appliance and nothing else

You are suppose to be able listen to music, watch videos and read books (and a couple of more things) off that... not multi-task.

The problem with most ereader that are on the market right now is that they are really small (for my taste anyway). Heck if I am to read a book or technical paper you won't see me reading that off a 5-6" screen :P

For the rest I'm pretty sure that for whatever you want to do with it there's a better alternative, but for all that in one device it's the best of it's kind (but maybe the only one of it's kind then again haha).

Call them morons, hipsters, etc it doesn't matter, you have to tell yourself that apple made a nice product for the customer range it seek, and angry people or not about it there will be a crap load that will sell and whatever might be the (uninformed) opinions of some, it's still a damn nice IA.

What I liked the most about it was really the lil bookstore "behind" the book/pdf you are reading (in the first demo of the product), I'm still impressed with what they did with that.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 04:52 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
As I will say again, most people think that lil thing is actually a computer, it is NOT. It's an information appliance and since most people who have a bad opinion about it compare it with computer, I said that most of them either had no clue or were misinformed.

Here if you or anyone don't know what an information appliance is and want to educate themselves: Information appliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup, the iPad is an information appliance. Also known as a computer that can do less stuff. If you want a good information appliance for $500, buy a cheap laptop or a netbook for portability. Either will have more functionality than the iPad for an equal or lesser price. If you want an eBook reader, buy a Sony reader for cheaper or get a Kindle from Amazon or a nook from Barnes and Noble. All have e-ink screens and are much better suited toward reading books than the iPad with its LCD screen (and those devices are in fact designed specifically for reading books).

Everything that the iPad is competing with either has more functionality or is better at doing the specific task it is meant for, but the fanboys will still eat it up because it's got a picture of a fruit with a bite taken out of it on the front.
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Yup, the iPad is an information appliance. Also known as a computer that can do less stuff. If you want a good information appliance for $500, buy a cheap laptop or a netbook for portability. Either will have more functionality than the iPad for an equal or lesser price. If you want an eBook reader, buy a Sony reader for cheaper or get a Kindle from Amazon or a nook from Barnes and Noble. All have e-ink screens and are much better suited toward reading books than the iPad with its LCD screen (and those devices are in fact designed specifically for reading books).

Everything that the iPad is competing with either has more functionality or is better at doing the specific task it is meant for, but the fanboys will still eat it up because it's got a picture of a fruit with a bite taken out of it on the front.
And be angry as you want toward it, they will still buy it and make that company live to pump out other nice products
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 05:08 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,319
Default

Calling it a "information appliance" is just another way of saying its too underpowered to jack squat with. The first gen ipad is a not even a jack of all trades device because it is: A) to underpowered to be even considered a tablet form factor netbook B) has to short of battery life to be good for reading on c) costs to much for what it CAN do D) is too chunky to use as a mp3 player & d) is to big for a portable vid palyer. A+B+C+D=Meh in my books.

Lets face it is an oversized ipod touch and NOT the second coming like Stevie boys hypes it up to be. It wont change anything as it cant DO anything better than the competition. YES peeps will still buy it, because its made by Apple. Steve could squeeze out an turd have it sealed in Lucite and sell it as the iTurd and certain peeps would STILL buy it. That is not something that should be considered a good thing. I remeber when Apple was an INNOVATOR and not maker of shiny crap. Sad how things have changed :/
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 05:14 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

I don't see what's so good about the OS. It's not a Mac OSX OS. It's baically an iPod Touch OS that's been put on steroids.

As for being the best e-reader. I disagree. However I agree that it will make a good e-reader thanks to its big screen, but seriously, how many people are going to use it for e-reading? I'm willing to bet the answer is no. I used it myself and typed a Facebook status on it. The 10 to 15 minutes I spent using it, I was hating it. I talked to this guy next to me who was checking out the iPad. He didn't like it too.

You're saying it's not a computer, but Apple is marketing it as a tablet, which is a computer. As Zero said, why do I want to spend at least $750 (RFD prices) for an iPad when I can get myself a nice netbook or CULV laptop? Sure it might not have apps, but who needs apps when you got a Windows machine?

So you're saying that you WANT to carry such a huge thing around you so you can listen to music and watch videos? Imo, either carry it like how you would carry a laptop/netbook or don't carry it at all. Walking around with the iPad is just asking to get jumped. Plus imagine how stupid you'd look carrying the iPad in a mall for video and music purposes.

As for Apple making a good product that people want. What? Imo, only fanboys would buy them. They're half the reason why people buy their products anyways. Everyone I talked to find the iPad to be a complete useless PoS that's just as I said, an iPod Touch on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Calling it a "information appliance" is just another way of saying its too underpowered to jack squat with. The first gen ipad is a not even a jack of all trades device because it is: A) to underpowered to be even considered a tablet form factor netbook B) has to short of battery life to be good for reading on c) costs to much for what it CAN do D) is too chunky to use as a mp3 player & d) is to big for a portable vid palyer. A+B+C+D=Meh in my books.

Lets face it is an oversized ipod touch and NOT the second coming like Stevie boys hypes it up to be. It wont change anything as it cant DO anything better than the competition. YES peeps will still buy it, because its made by Apple. Steve could squeeze out an turd have it sealed in Lucite and sell it as the iTurd and certain peeps would STILL buy it. That is not something that should be considered a good thing. I remeber when Apple was an INNOVATOR and not maker of shiny crap. Sad how things have changed :/
Very well put. Plus due to the fact that the iPad lacks a USB slot, it's a huge deal breaker for me.
__________________
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 05:21 PM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

I don't see this "will sell like hotcakes" thing EVER working, at my school almost everyone thinks Macbooks are amazing and love their iPod Touch's. Everyone I have talked to (and most own an iPod or Macbook of some sort) agree it is crappy.

Public opinion is not behind Apple this time around.
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 05:33 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Well if you want to compare it (yet again) with a not/netbook or whatever tablet you have in mind, I will also, but in a different way.

Imagine yourself of being an hipster living in whatever big city and all your time you don't spend on your macbook writing your oh so important blog (/sarcasm) and reading other people's one and at the same time dreaming that your lil hipster site about your band that 7 people including your parents know about will shine on its rightful moment... what would you do?

Sit around in a cafe or a park and still be able to listen to other people's crappy hipster music, your own voice, whatever else shitty maybe even read a book or look at some pictures you took in black and white with shadows, contrast and everything neo-hipster-artistic hog shit your 'emotion' wanted you to immortalise (zzzZZZ)...

BUT! More importantly, you will want people to see you with that lil device with an Apple on and make all your fibers of your body pray for somebody to sit next to you intersted by the device and show them all of that and have one more contacts to add to your already existing (retarded) facebook account with 2073 friends in an illusion they will give you that they are really intersted by all your stuff (not).

And of course you will be also able to meet other hipster-douchebag like you who will have the same device and will want to share other hipster-douchbagerish thingers of non-interest like... eh... well I think you understand my point now

In their eyes a tablet or notebook == conformist pig and they sure don't want to look like that (or even remotely normal o.O)

For them it's perfect.

For me it's a nice IA.

For the rest of people it could have a use.

For you or other hardware guys it's not the best buy.

For anti-apple uninformed MS monkeys it's *usualboringrantzzZZZ* plus *bashbashbashgamingcrapmorebashbash*.



PS: Remember I'm not calling you as your person hipster-douchebag, I said to put yourself in one of their (crappy) hipster shoes/rotten converse and imagine you were one :)
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG

Last edited by m1dget; April 6, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2010, 05:40 PM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

Have fun with your information appliance that has wifi that is 1/7th the speed of an iPhone..... and that's Wireless N....

I don't (and I mean DON'T) understand what the hell you are trying to say with your "hipster" thing. Are you trying to say "all the cool kids use it so you should too"?

Is that really the best reason to buy it you can come up with? Don't try to justify your future purchase to me or anyone else here, just buy one and go show everyone how cool you are because you bought an Apple product.
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipad!!! kendallcschm Mac 108 April 8, 2010 10:09 PM
Will it Blend, iPad Arinoth Off Topic 17 April 7, 2010 02:53 PM
Apple Ipad Killer The U1 Hybrid iPad from Lenovo Death_Adder Press Releases & Tech News 6 February 5, 2010 05:25 AM
This is ridiculous.. tao5269 Off Topic 3 September 28, 2008 07:58 AM