What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Will carrier be affected by jailbreaking?

element291

Hey guys, I've owned 2 iphones. The first one was a 2G jailbroken....

I just got a 16GB 3GS from Rogers, and I'm wondering if after I jailbreak it, can rogers tell?

***not warranty wise***

Just in general....
Will any apps or features change that affiliate with rogers?

Any info would be great,

thanks guys!

Synth

From what I understand, it doesn't affect the service you get from your carrier.

If you go connect to Itunes and/or the app store however, your Itunes account can be suspended indefinately (in which case you can create a new one with a new credit card under a different name of course, like a spouse or a parent) ...

I haven't got the balls to jailbreak my new 3GS (yet), however :blarg:

If YOU do, please follow-up with the jailbreak used and your impressions; I might just follow suit!

JMCD

I've had my phone jailbroken for about 8 months now. Who knows if Fido can tell, who cares? It's not illegal unless you're using apps that include piracy. Apple surely doesn't support it, but it has pushed them to make some more open changes (Skype over 3G will be possible very soon). Other than using 3G skype I don't have too much use for jailbreaking personally. Although getting any app for free is nice ;)

ChuckleBrother

Running my 3GS jailbroken since release, running my 3G jailbroken since about a month after the 3G release. So far I have yet to have any sort of issue with Apple or Rogers, I don't run any pirated apps or anything, just doing it for the theming

element291

How's your battery life on the 3GS?

I've had mine running since Thursday night of last week, and I've had to plug it in for a full charge DAILY.
I guess I am using it quite frequent, I'm actually just plugging the phone in now to run the jailbreak.
I'll let you know how it goes :) :punk: (i also read quiet a long time ago, that jailbreaking decreases battery life - which will hopefully not require me to buy a car charger :haha:)

Synth

How's your battery life on the 3GS?

I've had mine running since Thursday night of last week, and I've had to plug it in for a full charge DAILY

On my 3GS, I get 2 full days on 1 charge (about 50% per day). That's using it for phone, RSS feeds, push mail, and very light browsing.

Stop Youtubing :biggrin:

element291

On my 3GS, I get 2 full days on 1 charge (about 50% per day). That's using it for phone, RSS feeds, push mail, and very light browsing.

Stop Youtubing :biggrin:

I think I've watched 1 video on it the entire time I've had it lol.
I jailbroke it within 3 seconds with BlackRa1n yesterday. Pretty unbelievable how easy they've made jailbreaking now adays.

I've got a woman who is addicted to text messaging, so I find myself replying to approx 100 msgs a day. I guess that would suck the battery life. My screen brightness is also set very low, and I have the phone on vibrate so its not like its putting out power for loud sounds all the time either...

Jailbreaking your iphone is a must for anyone know wants to use their phone to its fullest potential. I'm so glad I don't have to CLOSE then REOPEN my apps everytime I get a msg, or call!

Synth

Jailbreaking your iphone is a must for anyone know wants to use their phone to its fullest potential. I'm so glad I don't have to CLOSE then REOPEN my apps everytime I get a msg, or call!

Sigh...

I hastily updated to 3.1.3 before realizing I could jailbreak so now I have to actually get a previous version of the OS before I can try jailbreaking it ...

And I'm lazy :bleh:

On a side note, how do you get your apps?

element291

Oh yeah, you can go back to 3.1.2 in like 10 minutes.

I use Cydia to install my apps. I went on youtube and got a few repos that have ton's of free apps.