Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2009, 12:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Rogers iphone plan in ontario

I just moved to Ottawa, and called rogers up to change my address. They informed me that I would also have to change my number, I agreed and selected a number. She then informed me that the plan I was on in nova scotia is not offered in Ontario, so I would have to select a new plan. She offered me a plan that included the equivalent to what i had in nova scotia, (voice, 500mb data, my5) but the plan is 20 dollars more. What the hell is this garbage? On top of that, the add on i had of voicemail, 150 texts and caller id for 12 dollars, here is 12 dollars for just the voicemail and caller id. The only positive is that the mandatory bullshit 7.95 system access fee is 3 dollars here.
Any plan advice? I have an iphone so i was restricted to Rogers when I got the phone, perhaps it would be better to take the cancellation hit and go with a different carrier.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Try threatening to cancel your service and go to a different provider and see if you can bargain them back down to your existing plan.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Get your contract if you can find it and read it over. I'd call them and explain your situation, if they representative seems hesitant or just says no, try politely requesting a manager. Be polite yet persistent, although there is probably stipulations in the contract for this exact thing, you signed it at a certain rate, so they should honour it. You can also try telling them that in your current financial situation (i.e you just moved) you don't know if you would be able to pay an increased phone bill (you need the features for work, etc.), and the low price was why you went to them in the first place.

If they still won't budge you can try using the changed rate as a reason to cancel your plan, and try to get out without paying (most/any) fee's. There is a good chance that they'd rather be making a little profit off you then no profit.

The big thing is to always be polite, and try to get them to sympathize with you, they probably have to deal with a lot of a--holes throughout the day so if you are nice to them you got a lot better chance of them wanting to help you. Good luck!
Old December 5, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If worst comes to worst and a regular CSR doesn't want to budge, tell them you've gotten to the point where you are seriously considering leaving them and you want to speak to retentions and see if they can change your mind. Retentions can make you happy, and you might even end up with a better deal than before if you work hard enough.
That's all happy thinking though, I would work on getting the regular plan back first.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 5, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
If worst comes to worst and a regular CSR doesn't want to budge, tell them you've gotten to the point where you are seriously considering leaving them and you want to speak to retentions and see if they can change your mind. Retentions can make you happy, and you might even end up with a better deal than before if you work hard enough.
That's all happy thinking though, I would work on getting the regular plan back first.
+1

Visit www.howardforums.com for more info.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well i phoned up, and it was the same story about increasing the price, i asked to speak to a supervisor. I informed him that i do not agree with this charge increase, as i have just moved here and am unemployed and had signed a 3 year contract for the 35$ plan. He informed me that they had not changed the agreement, it was I, as I had moved from the atlantic region which is a small market area, to a large market area. In the past they discounted services out there, as the coverage is not as good as other regions, and in fact they don't offer the $35 anymore (was 10 months ago when i signed up) but it is the $50 Canada wide. He gave me the option of keeping my current phone number, which would incur long distance charges when anybody from ottawa phoned me, but i could phone local without it being long distance. That of course is not an option, rather him trying to make it look like his hands are tied.
Now im not out to screw this company over or get a deal, I just want what I agreed to in the contract.
I was calm and polite, as i have been on the receiving end of angry customers and i wouldn't subject anyone to that, and personally i would be more helpful to a disagreeing nice customer then an angry one. Perhaps that is what i did wrong. I dont think cancelling the contract would do any good, as in the contract it states the maximum is 400, plus 100 for data cancellation.
Am i in the wrong here? What the hell have i done to deserve such disrespectful treatment.
Old December 5, 2009, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Check through the Rogers terms and conditions on their web page to see if you can find anything about contracts and moving. I glanced at it and didn't see anything.

If you look at their fee's below you can see (at the bottom) that they can charge $25 for a change of number. You can try to argue that you are just applying to change your number and will pay the administrative fee associated. If they say you changed the contract make them specifically point out where in the contract that is stipulated.

If they still refuse, you can contact the rogers complaints from their website here, and try your luck there. There are 4 levels you can escalate your complaint if the previous is unsatisfactory:
Service Rep -> Service Rep Manager -> Office of the President -> Office of the Ombudsman (neutral party)
If you can't get any help there then you may just be out of luck.

On their Terms of Service Page:

Quote:
Unless otherwise specified in the Service Agreement, we may change, at any time, any charges, features, content,
programming, structure or any other aspects of the Services, as well as any term or provision of the Service
Agreement, upon notice to you. If you do not accept a change to the Services, your sole remedy is to terminate the
Service Agreement and the Services provided under the Service Agreement, within 30 days of your receipt of our
notice of change to the Services (unless we specify a different notice period), by providing us with advance notice
of termination pursuant to Section 31. If you do not accept a change to these Terms, your sole remedy is to retain
the existing Terms unchanged for the duration of the Commitment Period (as defined below), upon notice to us
within 30 days of your receipt of our notice of change in the Terms.
You can try to get out without paying a fee (offer to return the phone) under the basis that they are changing the services (either the cost increase or refusal of an offered service (change of number)) It's a stretch but who knows.

Last edited by Fox; December 5, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just talk to retentions.

My friends had to get a new number because they moved for university, and Rogers didn't charge anything for the new phone number. They also got a retention plan. More stuff for the same price.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
+1

Visit www.howardforums.com for more info.
+1 to that too..

Instead of speaking to a CSR, try actually asking for the Retention/Loyalty dept... most probably they'll take care of you.. Tell them the truth, you're dissapointed that you got to pay up to $20 more on the same plan.. but say it sort of a polite manor..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 5, 2009, 10:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Really? Wont retentions only accommodate me if they believe i will actually cancel my contract? I did look at the terms of service and couldn't find any info on this.