Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
Allstar

Default Google Sync/Growl/Prowl for the iPhone. OMGWTFBBQ???

alright, here is my situation. i'm the most scatter-brained person you could ever possibly meet by a factor of 10. i also happen to get pretty lazy with daily 'chore'-like activities. to solve my forgetfulness issue, i've become accustomed to jotting down notes on the comp(beats stickies by a country mile) and using an online calendar...that is fine and dandy, but it gets pretty useless whenever i'm away from the comp(usually to actually DO the things on the list xD ). most people would just write down what they needed to reference....but due to the aforementioned lazyness, i don't enjoy the fact that i would need to write down the same piece of info twice. therefore, i've come to the conclusion that having access to my notes, calendars, and email on a smartphone(an iphone in particular) would be the best solution possible for me.

i've spent some time doing my homework and i've come to the conclusion that using evernote for my miscellaneous written notes and using google sync for my calendar, [contacts], and email is quite a formidable combo.

now, i've come across a slight issue with the email...that is the prowl and growl applications. unless i've been seriously miscomprehending the situation, those two applications will enable 'push' email for Gmail. the benefits of that being instant updates to my inbox status and battery savings for the phone(because it doesn't have to constantly query the gmail server). my one big question is....isn't the updating/synchronization of my inbox THE WHOLE POINT of google sync? i'm pretty sure it is, but i want to confirm my conception that gsync and prowl/growl were meant to be used seperately.

overall, what i need from the phone(and the accompanying services) is:
-longer battery life(i DON'T want the phone to be constantly querying the gmail servers)
-constant sychronization(or close to it) of notes, contacts, email, and calendar.

also, is google sync free? from what i can tell, google offers it free, but they also say that it uses a microsoft activesync server(or somthing rather) - which doesn't appear to be free. so, is google just absorbing the server costs?

sorry for being so verbiose, but i hope i get my thoughts across.

ps, for the love of god. please don't tell me to use another phone.
Old August 9, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my recommendation would be the mobile me app. give it a google, and look into it. It costs per month, but it does -everything- you're looking for.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about