Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2008, 03:26 PM
Top Prospect

Question Going all digital

I know this may sound a little nutty to you guys, but where can you find an RF modulator that outputs a digital cable signal? See at my house during planned events, I sometimes make my own TV channel that broadcasts my 2nd desktop throughout the house (my brother brought me 2 DRAKE analog channel masters that lets me turn channel 3 into 80 or some other channel). I know the cable signal cant get out of the house due to our one-way amplifier so that's no issue in case your wondering. But since were starting to receive digital transmissions (OTA only), I was wondering if it was possible to obtain a device that can turn a S-video or component video signal (with audio) into digital cable. This is for specific purposes though cuz when I want to show a movie streamed from the internet onto my big screen tv, I don't want to haul my pc out to the living room. I just want to stream it onto a second moniter that outputs to a modulator so I can view it on my tv 2 rooms away.

Ive read some stuff about some dude who ripped apart a vga cable and jimmy rigged it to output a digital signal to his tv. It also included messing around with video card drivers, which ive had bad experiences doing.
Old September 9, 2008, 03:45 PM
MVP
F@H

It wouldn't be a real digital signal

You can always try build a dedicated HTPC for it or you can get a media player

but wireless is not usually strong enough for 1080P but should be ok with lower resolutions

NCIX.com - Buy Mediagate MG-450HD Wireless High Definition Media Player USB2.0 3.5IN MPEG4 DivX Ndas - MG-450HD In Canada.

Here is an example of what I am talking about
Old September 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Your purpose is not exactly a "RF modulator" in the popular sense of the term. Try Googling for "HD wireless video extender" or "HD wireless video transmitter".

Would something like this suit the need? (Even if it is way to pricey?)