Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2008, 01:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need a setup

Alright, so in my moms new house there is no way to run cable upstairs, and she isn't interested in drilling a hole in her floors. So my plan was to do it over the network(wireless N).

The HOW of it has me a bit confused though, I'm not entirely sure what hardware is good(need a tuner) nor do I know what software to use. Something that did catch my eye was Mythbuntu, and it DOES look good. So, each frontend has to be a pc, but does it need to be MUCH of a pc? Would an Atom or VIA board work just fine for one of these?

Also, what sort of control do the frontends have? Cause I use a remote like the one I have for Windows MCE?

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it, as well as a general idea of how the quality will be streamed over the network.

PS I want to have the ability to add multiple computers to this setup, so a dual tuner is a must(doesnt need to be HD though, we just have a standard set top box), if possible I want as many as 4 video streams at any one time.

Last edited by ChuckleBrother; August 21, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: PS
Old August 21, 2008, 04:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

A good electrician can run cables anywhere. It would cost you but it can be done.

Check out the latest episode of Systm on Revion3 for all your MythTV answers.
Old August 21, 2008, 10:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Problem with that is that it doesn't migrate well, and she might not be living here very long, so being able to pack it all in will be a nice touch.

Price isn't a big deal since I already have the backend machine, and all its missing is the tuner card(s). Its already outfitted with 2tb of storage, so it should be okay for recording/etc.

Just don't know what quality tuners are...anyone know of a really nice dual tuner?