Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   HDMI Detection Issues (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/8303-hdmi-detection-issues.html)

CanadaRox July 1, 2008 01:15 PM

HDMI Detection Issues

I've been trying to get my HTPC/server set up, but I've been having some trouble with HDMI. If I set the input to the PC, and then turn it on, everything works fine until I switch the input to anything other than the PC. After I switch it from the PC, and back to it, the HDMI signal is gone and the screen just stays black. The same thing happens if I start the PC before going to the input for the TV.

The motherboard (and gpu) is the GA-MA78GM-S2H (with an onboard HD3200). The TV is a Sony Bravia 46in XBR (pretty sure its this one: Bravia LCD TV - Full High Definition - HDTV - Sony Style Canada - BRAVIA LCD by Size - BRAVIA LCD HDTVs 42" to 52" - Sony Style Canada). The O/S is XP 64-bit (as I have 4GB of RAM in it) and is running SP2.

I've tried different version of Catalyst with no success, any other suggestions would be great.

vinister July 1, 2008 03:41 PM

Its not regular behavior, I know that much. When I switch back to the pc on my tv, it says "HDMI connecting...", then my main screen flashes (like when you change resolution), and both screens come back on. Either your TV is not reconnecting, or the Catalyst driver is just not re-initializing the connection.

Are you getting a message on the TV that says "connecting..."? CCC knows whether my tv is on the pc input or not, and turns off its output when the TV is not hooked up to it. The only difference is that I am running Vista, which may be smarter with HDMI, so might be worth looking into.

CanadaRox July 1, 2008 04:10 PM

The TV doesn't say anything at all, just a plain black screen. The reason I went with XP over Vista is it can do software RAID5 (with a mod that is). Hopefully there is a fix for this, otherwise I'll be stuck getting a RAID card (wont be hardware RAID though, I'm cheap).

If I unplug the HDMI cable from the PC and then plug it back it, the video signal will return, but without doing that the switch in input just results in a blank screen.

I'm going to go try updating CCC to the newest version (if its not still the newest) and see if I can find any settings relating to HDMI detection. I'm also pretty sure that I've gone through every menu on my TV, so I think it's likely related to the HD3200.

EDIT: Okay, so now that I've updated the driver, a message pops up at boot saying that the version of CCC isn't compatible with my video card (I went to the AMD site for graphic drivers and picked the HD 3200 and downloaded them from there).

DOUBLE EDIT: I fixed the driver detected the GPU, but HDMI still doesn't want to work.

Conky July 1, 2008 05:23 PM

I dont now tough problem maybee check your refresh rate I had a similar problem when i was using an older vid card with a new lcd check sony specs for refresh rate then chech ccc and make sure refresh rate is not cheked for same as desktop once i did this it corrected a similar problem. hope this helps or im completley in left feild on this problem.:canadianwave:

CanadaRox July 1, 2008 06:29 PM

I've tried 60, 30 and 24Hz (all of the options that CCC gives me) and it still doesn't get the signal. IIRC, the TV is capable of 120Hz, but the only options CCC has are 60, 30 and 24. Thanks for the idea though.

vinister July 1, 2008 08:16 PM

Most TV's will send a signal to the pc when you switch to the HDMI input, telling the pc to turn on its output. Yours is sending it when the cable is plugged in, but not when the input is cycled. Just seems like an incompatibility, but its really hard to say whether it is the fault of the TV or video card.

Jack Rabbit July 2, 2008 05:12 AM

nVidia drivers have a "force TV detection" setting for troubleshooting. Is there something like this with your drivers? Or maybe some other way to make the computer keep the port turned on?

Conky July 2, 2008 05:41 AM

I had a chance to think about this but without being hands on is a little tough for me but have you tried a different cable
maybee the one your using has a defect but that would be unusial. or if your using an hdmi adapter maybee not compatible with your vid card, I had that problem once.

vinister July 2, 2008 10:42 AM

Yes the CCC does have a 'force TV detection' setting. Maybe that's all thats needed here.

CanadaRox July 2, 2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conky (Post 65907)
I had a chance to think about this but without being hands on is a little tough for me but have you tried a different cable
maybee the one your using has a defect but that would be unusial. or if your using an hdmi adapter maybee not compatible with your vid card, I had that problem once.

The motherboard has HDMI, DVI and VGA all built onto it. I'll see if I can borrow an HDMI cable from someone if what Jack Rabbit/vinister said doesn't manage to fix it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 65905)
nVidia drivers have a "force TV detection" setting for troubleshooting. Is there something like this with your drivers? Or maybe some other way to make the computer keep the port turned on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinister (Post 65936)
Yes the CCC does have a 'force TV detection' setting. Maybe that's all thats needed here.

I didn't see this in CCC. I'll take a look for it quick before work today, and a bit more thorough after. Would you be able to post a screenshot of where the setting is incase I can't find it?