Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2008, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Looks like a good choice, hope things work out well.
Old July 27, 2008, 07:13 PM

My System Specs

I've ordered the HD PVR, it will arrive tomorrow. However my Star Choice is disconnected to Sept 1, so it won't be used until then.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I've ordered the HD PVR, it will arrive tomorrow. However my Star Choice is disconnected to Sept 1, so it won't be used until then.
you might want to look at mythtv Installing and using MythTV: First things first.

i seen you have a mac,maybe what your looking for.
there are other progs aswell that are windows based.

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old July 27, 2008, 11:42 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
you might want to look at mythtv Installing and using MythTV: First things first.

i seen you have a mac,maybe what your looking for.
there are other progs aswell that are windows based.
I'll be using my PC as my MacBook Pro really doesn't have the storage capacity that I need. I'll try the software it comes with, and it that doesn't work well enough, I'll try BeyondTV.
Old July 28, 2008, 04:20 PM

My System Specs

Received the HD-PVR today. And is is pretty limited on what supports it currently. Neither BeyondTV nor Media Center support it, which is a shame as they are what I would of prefered to use. I downloaded a free program called GB-PVR which supports it. Hopefully it will work fine.
Old July 28, 2008, 05:51 PM
Allstar

Good stuff, I hope you keep us posted on how it works out for you. I'm looking to do the same myself in the near future and any information would be great.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old September 1, 2008, 06:32 PM

My System Specs

Got the dish connected back up today. And after 4-5 hours of trying to configure the HD PVR, the receiver, and Beyond TV. I have finally got it working. Quality on Live TV is amazing. I seriously couldn't tell the difference. However is sooo slow to load a show. Takes a good 10 - 15 seconds. But once watching it is great. Watching Live TV also loads one core @ 3GHz 100%. Pretty demanding.

Now recording is entirely different. Since the HD PVR does hardware h264 encoding, cpu usage is 1-2%. Recorded quality is great. However so far I've only watched the uncompressed 8GB/hour ones. I have yet to watch one after compression though.

IMO both Beyond TV and the HD PVR are well worth it, if you want to record HDTV and do not have a standalone PVR.
Old September 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I'm glad things worked out in the long run, thanks for the update. Must look into HD...
Old September 3, 2008, 03:09 PM

My System Specs

One thing though, with the current version of BeyondTV the SmartSkip and ShowSqueeze don't work. So each hour of TV, it is a 4GB file. And it can't skip commercials. Hopefully these issues are fixed.