Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2017, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default TV to PC

I wanted to do this for a long time now, to send the TV stream to PC, so after reading a lot of reviews, I got myself an Elgato Game Capture card on USB 2, from a Canadian seller on eBay. When I buy from eBay I always look to get the item in question from Canada to avoid the pesky custom fees, unless the whole thing plus shipping and customs is cheaper than getting it from Canada.
Because I didn't want to complicate my setup with a powered HDMI splitter, I chose to record HD using the component video and audio output from my PVR. I have Win10, so the card was detected and installed really fast, and also the app installed very easy. It has an option to use the GPU to encode the recording streams, so I am really curious to see how my lowly i3 wil go at that task with my 290X. Recording will be done on the RAID 0 partition where 2 WD10EZEX drive await quietly to be put to work.
I am still waiting for the component cable to arrive, and then it will be recording time. I might choose to transfer some recordings from the PVR to the PC as well, actually I think this is how I will work, recording with the PVR first, then record on the PC and edit, cutting the commercials and all that.

Last edited by MARSTG; November 16, 2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old November 17, 2017, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Chromecast with Videostream... problem solved for 50 bux man. Or you can install plex on your computer and use Chromecast the same way. Super easy works awesome no need for an 2nd computer to run movies.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 18, 2017, 03:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i use an old (OLD) motorola dct6146 dvr that has a firewire port in the back and then use an OLD xp machine with some software i found to capture tv shows.

some you can't there is a copy once flag or something so when you try to capture on the xp machine it doens't work,

then i use avidemux to delete commercials then run it through handbrake to compress it.
Old November 18, 2017, 03:50 PM
Top Prospect

Chromecast with Videostream: can you record or pass the PVR output video stream through it? I don't think that's possible. Please correct me if I am wrong...
Old November 20, 2017, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Shake_ View Post
then i use avidemux to delete commercials then run it through handbrake to compress it.
This is exactly what I want to do as well!
I don't know what clshades is talking about, as I don't have 2 PCs, i want to record the shows from my pvr using the component video output. I will see how it goes with the i3 but i have a vague impression that i will have to upgrade the cpu as well.

Last edited by MARSTG; November 20, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old November 21, 2017, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So the component and RCA cables have arrived, I first made sure the PVR was set to output in 720P, hooked the cables to the capture card and I was set to go. Image would play for a few seconds and then stop, but the sound would continue in the background. Very annoying. I set the source to Other, and restarted the PC. Same thing! I was scratching my head, then I discovered in the Elgato application settings one option that says TV compatibility with level from 1 to 12, that by default is set to 2! So I slid it all the way to 12 and behold the image from my pvr filled my screen! And a YouTube link to my first capture !https://youtu.be/Ge_XtjrvwIY
While I play online music in Chrome and do the live preview, the cpu utilization is 18% out of my i3-2100. And while recording at 720P with the highest quality settings, assisted by the GPU, yes,encoding is done by the GPU, the CPU load is a mere 20%! I am impressed!
Attached Images

Last edited by MARSTG; November 21, 2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old November 24, 2017, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

More captures, now this is a true HTPC integrating TV and PC! I had to start my own channel on YouTube for that. If you like and would like to see more, let me know. https://youtu.be/jCVh8LIqsf8
Old November 24, 2017, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In this day and age why would you want to record anything via PC? Seems like a huge waste of hardware and money. Sorry... I got over this idea years ago.
Download and stream problem solved imo...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 24, 2017, 11:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
In this day and age why would you want to record anything via PC? Seems like a huge waste of hardware and money. Sorry... I got over this idea years ago.
Download and stream problem solved imo...
Because what i want is not available, is just as simple as that.
Old November 26, 2017, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have you tried here? RARBG Rarbg Index page

its a little annoying this site.... when you click into search boxes you get pop ups but it stops after the 3rd time.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.