Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2008, 06:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree with ipaine, try using different software for temp and also to see health of drive ( S.M.A.R.T values). I would suggest HD Tune since you can download a trial version that will give you all the information you need. It won't be good if you buy media online with your HTPC just to have the drive die before you can back it up .
Old June 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is kind of weird, especially if you've got the fan blowing directly across the hotside of the HDD. How exactly is the fan mounted? I don't see any inlet holes there, so how is the fan getting air to blow in the first place? Or is it just recycling hot air from inside the case?

For the CPU, if things are fixed, then fine. But if not, something like THIS might fit the bill. Reasonably cheap, optimized for an overhead air intake, and it measures just shy of 100mm from the top of the fan to the surface of the processor.
Old June 6, 2008, 09:34 AM
Allstar

It pulls air from a grill on the front of the case, by the usb connectors if you look at a picture.

I moved it to the grometed mount in the bottom/side of the case, then took the last 3 pci slot covers out and mounted the 2 60mm fans there to blow against it at full speed, gets the temps to 36-40, guess it will have to do.

I used speedfan, HDDtune, everest and riva tuner to measure temps all the same, and the drive is warm, I would say those temps are about right.

SMART reports drive condition as "Excellent", with no errors.

I just don't get how the HP case which had ONE 92mm fan in the back of it for the ENTIRE vent of the case can have run this exact same hardware so much cooler. I even had all the spare PSU cables jammed in the spaces around the HDD in the old case, never got over 40...

huh...

CPU temps are good enough for free, 40-55C is ok for a prescott I figure...

thanks guys!