Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2014, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default WMC 7

ok so... I've been messing around with windows media / Netflix. The GUI is pretty bad imo what I'm trying to sort out is how to get away from the "Because you watched" options.

what I want to see is:
-action/adventure
-Drama
-Tv
-comedy
-etc etc etc.

After running the Boxee version of Netflix for so long (it's excellent) jumping over to another version is tough to say the least.

If there is a way to edit that nonsense? I want to switch between adult and kids as well if possible? From what I've been reading I'll need to change to window's 8 to really enjoy Netflix but that's another 160 bux. I have a lot of decent local content and I download movies and tv shows from time to time. XBMC does an amazing job of movies but quite a horrible job of Netflix. It's so bad I wanna throw my remote controls at the wall.

If I'm gonna own an HTPC it must do everything or it's simply not worth the beans. I can dump the computer pick up a WD live box and be done with it. Local content and downloads get hosed via WD live and Boxee has teamed up with Samsung and dumped Netgear.

input?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 25, 2014, 05:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I don't think you'll find any good solutions for HTPC+Netflix, your best best would be something like a Chromecast or Roku Streaming Stick with Plex Server running in the backend for local media.

I use a Chromecast for Netflix/Hulu Plus/YouTube and then my HTPC with XBMC for all local content. I do have Plex setup in the backend too, but typically don't use it, since the Chromecast has poor 5.1 audio support.
Old November 25, 2014, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Picked up win 8.1 pro tonight. Will give it a try and I'm looking into a VPN for hulu
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 25, 2014, 08:34 PM

My System Specs

Netflix for win 8 isn't bad. But you absolutely need a mouse to navigate.
Old November 25, 2014, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

been messing around with hipporemote with my old iphone 4. it's useable but sometimes annoying. The only saving grace is the mobo allows remote desktop with wifigo (asus app) so I can be logged into the current user and access the computer. Still not wife proof but not mission failed either.

That said I'm really just trying to get the cable disconnected and save a little money down the road. I'm close to doing that just not 100% yet. In the mean time the wife is still agreeable with the whole thing since her shows are still on the cablebox heh.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 25, 2014, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah I don't think you'll find any good solutions for HTPC+Netflix, your best best would be something like a Chromecast or Roku Streaming Stick with Plex Server running in the backend for local media.

I use a Chromecast for Netflix/Hulu Plus/YouTube and then my HTPC with XBMC for all local content. I do have Plex setup in the backend too, but typically don't use it, since the Chromecast has poor 5.1 audio support.
I'll second chormcast, I use it on a older HDTv andworks okay. I have to say though that I far prefer my 2 smart TV's, I use 1 Comp ( my main ) for local content streaming to the 2 smart tv's, netfix is a preinstalled App. I did the HTPC thing for years and while there is nicer interfaces/ect running a HTPC the smart tv's are so so much cleaner, no cables no fuss, plug and play, just need to setup the password to access the local computer and network. The TV's browser works fine for simple searches as doesFB/Twitter/youtube ect if that is your cup of tea.Miracast if you want to play something off a tablet or phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 25, 2014, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

the last time I tried HTPC was 2006/07. It was a nightmare back then taking weeks of tweaking and f-ing around. Finally get it all setup and one windows update could / would ruin the entire thing.

Must
try
again...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.