Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2014, 05:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Subsonic - Music Streamer

We live in a day and age where things like Google Music and Dropbox dominate the ability for us to listen to music on the go with our phones. Recently I was looking at options that I could use my own music and stream it anywhere I wanted anytime with little to no cost.

I came across a program called Subsonic (Subsonic Free Music Streamer) which installs a server onto a computer which gives a web interface to allow you to interact with it (Subsonic Free Music Streamer).

Through this web interface you can add your music and tweak many different things. This web interface also allows you to listen to your music through a web browser if you so desire but I choose to use it over my phone with its native android app.

There is a basic server setup which you have 29 days to try and then if you upgrade it costs $1/month or $12/month. I am waiting to see what happens after the 29th day to see if I can continue using it without any downfalls or if I will have to pay the $12/yr.

But even at $12/year being able to listen to my own music however and wheneve I want I feel is a much better bargain than using Google Music or anything else. I am currently scanning music into it so I can listen to it and I am currently over 31,000 songs
Old October 15, 2014, 06:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Let us know how it goes. I was looking at this as well but I didn't want to take the plunge quite yet.
Old October 15, 2014, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

The server running with a part of my music collection (35,000+) is using about 150mb on the server. Using the Android app the one thing that has issues is the EQ presets which seem to crash the app. But you can manually adjust the settings yourself and its fine.
Old October 15, 2014, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll gice this a go Curt, TYVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 15, 2014, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Sounds interesting and at that price it looks like a great deal as well. Please let us know your impressions as time goes one. It's not necessarily something I would use a lot but could still be worthwhile at that price point if it's stable etc.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 15, 2014, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Sounds interesting and at that price it looks like a great deal as well. Please let us know your impressions as time goes one. It's not necessarily something I would use a lot but could still be worthwhile at that price point if it's stable etc.
The nice thing is that this isn't just to your phone since it works over wifi. It has a web browser flash player so even if you don't use your phone and you can gain access to your webpage you can listen to music ANYWHERE.

Another thing is that I can create playlists and then plug the phone into my truck or girlfriends car and load up a playlist and have music on the go as well. This reduces transferring music to and from the phone and allows me to listen to what I want on the go.

I've been using for the last couple of hours and haven't had any real issues aside from the EQ presets crashing the app and being in a spotty area for reception can cause a bit of buffering.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

It does open up a lot of possibilities that's for sure. I'm not too concerned about the EQ as the ones on phones tend to cause more problems than they solve. The car idea is great though...I didn't think of that. Do you know if it's possible to add music from different computers? I might try and add the music collection from both mine and the wifes computers (different ISP accounts though so not sure if that would be an issue) so we can combine our music which would be amazing.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 15, 2014, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
It does open up a lot of possibilities that's for sure. I'm not too concerned about the EQ as the ones on phones tend to cause more problems than they solve. The car idea is great though...I didn't think of that. Do you know if it's possible to add music from different computers? I might try and add the music collection from both mine and the wifes computers (different ISP accounts though so not sure if that would be an issue) so we can combine our music which would be amazing.
Yes you can add network shares to Subsonic to allow it to use that media. So if you had a NAS or 3 computers on the same network you should technically be able to use the media from them.
Old October 15, 2014, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok so I am using the standard Android app and watched my data usage and it went up 200mb over a few hours. I have discovered that this really doesn't stream but instead it downloads the music before it plays it on your phone instead of just "streaming.

I am looking at other apps to see if they react differently.
Old October 15, 2014, 01:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Ok so I am using the standard Android app and watched my data usage and it went up 200mb over a few hours. I have discovered that this really doesn't stream but instead it downloads the music before it plays it on your phone instead of just "streaming.

I am looking at other apps to see if they react differently.
What would you perceive the difference between downloading the whole song and streaming would be? From a data POV the only difference would be less data use for streaming if you stopped the song half way through.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM