Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2014, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default is there a system that can use a power brick?

I was thinking of making a am1 build for a simple HTPC I would use everything on board the thing is the PSU I want the system to be as small as possible , I was looking at ncix they have a MB here http://www.ncix.com/detail/asrock-am...95085-1229.htm

but then it dawned on me that then I would need a PSU isn't there a power brick like what is used for laptops or other media players that would work.
I have a couple of media players the one I was using is so slow to load up and the fan ( tiny little thing) was getting noisy I try to lube it up and ended up breaking the fan now that media player gets hot , so I switched the media player for a old WD media player which is pretty fast but I have to use a pen drive or a external hard drive .
Old April 10, 2014, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think what you're looking for is a Pico PSU...

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

*Edit* Depending on what you're looking for on a whole, you may want to consider a Zotac ZBox instead. It saves you the trouble of building a system, but nets you a solid multimedia device for a reasonable price. You're just limited in your ability to upgrade it.
Old April 10, 2014, 11:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You could get the higher end ASrock motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asrock-am...95084-1229.htm that just requires you have a standard laptop power brick/adapter.

No need for a PICO power supply if you have an old laptop power brick. Only downside to that is only ONE hard drive can be powered by the on-board sata power.
Old April 10, 2014, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You could get the higher end ASrock motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asrock-am...95084-1229.htm that just requires you have a standard laptop power brick/adapter.

No need for a PICO power supply if you have an old laptop power brick. Only downside to that is only ONE hard drive can be powered by the on-board sata power.
That's actually pretty cool. I've never seen this on a board before. It's too bad about the limitations for expanded power, but if you're only after a single drive HTPC, this could be a solid option.
Old April 10, 2014, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cool thanks for the links I am going to check them out