Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2014, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default is there a system that can use a power brick?

I was thinking of making a am1 build for a simple HTPC I would use everything on board the thing is the PSU I want the system to be as small as possible , I was looking at ncix they have a MB here http://www.ncix.com/detail/asrock-am...95085-1229.htm

but then it dawned on me that then I would need a PSU isn't there a power brick like what is used for laptops or other media players that would work.
I have a couple of media players the one I was using is so slow to load up and the fan ( tiny little thing) was getting noisy I try to lube it up and ended up breaking the fan now that media player gets hot , so I switched the media player for a old WD media player which is pretty fast but I have to use a pen drive or a external hard drive .
Old April 10, 2014, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I think what you're looking for is a Pico PSU...

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

*Edit* Depending on what you're looking for on a whole, you may want to consider a Zotac ZBox instead. It saves you the trouble of building a system, but nets you a solid multimedia device for a reasonable price. You're just limited in your ability to upgrade it.
Old April 10, 2014, 11:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You could get the higher end ASrock motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asrock-am...95084-1229.htm that just requires you have a standard laptop power brick/adapter.

No need for a PICO power supply if you have an old laptop power brick. Only downside to that is only ONE hard drive can be powered by the on-board sata power.
Old April 10, 2014, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You could get the higher end ASrock motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asrock-am...95084-1229.htm that just requires you have a standard laptop power brick/adapter.

No need for a PICO power supply if you have an old laptop power brick. Only downside to that is only ONE hard drive can be powered by the on-board sata power.
That's actually pretty cool. I've never seen this on a board before. It's too bad about the limitations for expanded power, but if you're only after a single drive HTPC, this could be a solid option.
Old April 10, 2014, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cool thanks for the links I am going to check them out
Old August 21, 2014, 06:46 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Not sure if you have your heart set on that motherboard, but the other option would be an Intel NUC barebones kit.

Intel NUC BOXDN2820FYKH0 Celeron N2820 1XHDMI 2XUSB 2.0 1XUSB3.0 2.5"HDD/SATA Support WIFI-N BT PSU - DirectCanada

All you need to add would be a stick of ram and a laptop drive (SATA)