Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2014, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Another media advice thread! Help Pls!

Hey Guys,

Im looking to get a new streaming box for my non-smart tv to use for watching media content. I have been using ps3 media server to stream content from my pc for the past 1-2 years it was decent but has too many shortcomings: 1080p on wifi is impossible... cinevia is also a killer.

So i have decided to get a new box... and found myself with a crazy task ahead of me of chosing the best option that is available today ( which is like 1000s of different units).

Here are my main key points that I am looking for:

has to be able to stream media from my pc to the streaming unit with 1080p over wifi. (mkv, etc..) I have a large personal library of media that I would like to be able to stream.

has to have xbmc access, has to have twitch.tv access, has to have netflix access.

If it has hdmi audio passthrough its a big plus. I have access to a JB atv1 and atv2 if neeeded.

So far I checked the most popular ones seem to be xios, roku 3, and some of the newer android sticks

Can an expert help with some feedback thanks!
Old February 17, 2014, 11:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If your router and a stream Have Ac wifi yes you will be able to stream mkv Hd blueray but no matter what iv tried streaming on wireless N wont cut no matter the tweaks iv tried. Might be better off making a mitx apu htpc build with a Ac wifi card.
Old February 18, 2014, 05:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
If your router and a stream Have Ac wifi yes you will be able to stream mkv Hd blueray but no matter what iv tried streaming on wireless N wont cut no matter the tweaks iv tried. Might be better off making a mitx apu htpc build with a Ac wifi card.
You either have a lot of interference or a poor quality router. No issues here steaming 1080p MKVs over 300Mbps N-connection.

Same goes for the OP, perhaps start with a better router first to sort out the WiFi issues. I doubt a media box is going to resolve that, unless the PS3's WiFi is truly that bad.
Old February 18, 2014, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You either have a lot of interference or a poor quality router. No issues here steaming 1080p MKVs over 300Mbps N-connection.

Same goes for the OP, perhaps start with a better router first to sort out the WiFi issues. I doubt a media box is going to resolve that, unless the PS3's WiFi is truly that bad.
Streaming to a PS3 for media requires a 3rd party software to do on the fly recode/decode and it reallys sucks. I would have issues when I used my PS3 to stream 1080p content over wired connection.
Old February 18, 2014, 08:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would suggest the new NUC from Intel. Believe the model is DN2820FYKH. Putting one together right now, I think it will suite your needs. I would also suggest a hard wired connection, especially for 1080p content, haven't had too much luck with wifi...
Old February 18, 2014, 09:59 PM
Top Prospect

Roku 3 won't run XBMC. Right now CuBox is probably what to get for price vs performance. (Quad core 2gb ram etc) The Xios is the original XBMC player the problem is it is low tech. 512 mb ram etc, Pivos is supposed to release it's update to the Xios early march and it will probably be the best choice at that point.

I mean the best option is something like the intel nuc But once your spending that kind of money your half way to making a htpc anyway and probably should go that route.

http://www.amazon.ca/Intel-Next-Comp...+Computing+Kit

I would recommend waiting awhile anyway and seeing what the new Xios is like as at the very least. As others have said you should check your network. What is the signal strength on the ps3? You may need to consider a better router creating a booster or opting for a powerline network.