Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2014, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What are good name brands for TVs?

My Parents still are using and older 27" TV none lat screen box, they are looking for a newer one but are confused, I was trying to explain it to them how it is now that a 27" TV now days might seem smaller then there 27" TV because the heiht and width designs , then you have the actual picture quality my Father looks at some of these new TVs in places like future shop and doesn't like the picture quality and actually says that iot is worse then there TV, in some cases this is true.
SO I guess I need to know what are some of the name brands of TVs in no more then the 5-550CAD range ( but even cheaper then that would be allot better)that can sit on an older TV stand and still have a decent picture when there is light comming in from a near by window .
I use a Samsung 27" LCD TV and he looked at that and aid that the screen is smaller then there TV which I actually tend to agree , I am thinking they need more like a 30-32" to but I am not sure.
Old January 31, 2014, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
My Parents still are using and older 27" TV none lat screen box, they are looking for a newer one but are confused, I was trying to explain it to them how it is now that a 27" TV now days might seem smaller then there 27" TV because the heiht and width designs , then you have the actual picture quality my Father looks at some of these new TVs in places like future shop and doesn't like the picture quality and actually says that iot is worse then there TV, in some cases this is true.
SO I guess I need to know what are some of the name brands of TVs in no more then the 5-550CAD range ( but even cheaper then that would be allot better)that can sit on an older TV stand and still have a decent picture when there is light comming in from a near by window .
I use a Samsung 27" LCD TV and he looked at that and aid that the screen is smaller then there TV which I actually tend to agree , I am thinking they need more like a 30-32" to but I am not sure.
The biggest question is simply what type of tv are they watching? SD? HD? etc etc.

SD on a tube tv will look far better than a flat tv any day of the week. Look at tvs in stores doesn't give you ANY idea of what they look like as they use fancy settings and movies to make things look "better" and lighting is also different.

I have a 46" Dynex tv and I'm plenty happy with it.
Old January 31, 2014, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

the S's Sony, Samsung, and Sharp but check for 1080 not 720 and 120Hz if poppa watches sports

LED,LCD, Plasma ?
Old January 31, 2014, 12:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So they have a 27" 4:3 CRT TV currently?

I think you'd want to look at a 40" 16:9 HDTV at the very least to offer equivalent size. The entry level Sony's are within budget for example: 40" R450A Series LED HDTV - Shop All Sony HDTVs Sony Store - Sony CA

But yes, if they have no plans to upgrade to HD source content, then a HDTV is always going to look worse. SD content does not look good when it has to be upscaled to 1080p. You'd have to justify it more on saving space (less depth), and energy (LED).

I'm fairly sure we had a 27" CRT before and when we made the transition, it was to a 40" LCD. Couple years later, it became a 46" LCD, and now it's a 50" LED.
Old January 31, 2014, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A 32" has just slightly less height then a 27" crt, but is quite a bit wider. For lower end TV's I find LG has the best colors and blacks. On the higher end I am a samsung fan.
Old January 31, 2014, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
So they have a 27" 4:3 CRT TV currently?

I think you'd want to look at a 40" 16:9 HDTV at the very least to offer equivalent size. The entry level Sony's are within budget for example: 40" R450A Series LED HDTV - Shop All Sony HDTVs Sony Store - Sony CA

But yes, if they have no plans to upgrade to HD source content, then a HDTV is always going to look worse. SD content does not look good when it has to be upscaled to 1080p. You'd have to justify it more on saving space (less depth), and energy (LED).

I'm fairly sure we had a 27" CRT before and when we made the transition, it was to a 40" LCD. Couple years later, it became a 46" LCD, and now it's a 50" LED.
ya that is exactly what they have.

Last edited by Shadowmeph; January 31, 2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old January 31, 2014, 04:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Bigger is better, get the biggest they can afford.

My daily driver is a 67", and have a 120" for movies and games.

Old January 31, 2014, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
Bigger is better, get the biggest they can afford.

My daily driver is a 67", and have a 120" for movies and games.
Bigger is not better. It all depends on your source feed. SD is going to look like crap on a 67" tv.
Old January 31, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I noticed that allot of shaw channels look linely and sometimes grainy on some of the channels which I would never had noticed on my old TV I had a few years back.

one thing that I don't like about the newer tvs also sometimes every one looks slightly shorter and fatter then usual , if I were to watch something off of my PC I never see that but some of shaw tv channels are always giving me that short fat look.
and wha tis with the bars on the top and bottom I had thought that 16:9 I would lose that on my LCD.
the other thing is that I notce now os allot of TV channels audio is slightly out of since . I just started to watch regular TV and noticed this. digetal chanels are crap as far as I am concerned at least shaws are for the most part.
Old January 31, 2014, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I noticed that allot of shaw channels look linely and sometimes grainy on some of the channels which I would never had noticed on my old TV I had a few years back.

one thing that I don't like about the newer tvs also sometimes every one looks slightly shorter and fatter then usual , if I were to watch something off of my PC I never see that but some of shaw tv channels are always giving me that short fat look.
and wha tis with the bars on the top and bottom I had thought that 16:9 I would lose that on my LCD.
the other thing is that I notce now os allot of TV channels audio is slightly out of since . I just started to watch regular TV and noticed this. digetal chanels are crap as far as I am concerned at least shaws are for the most part.
Movies and tv shows aren't filmed in 16:9 its filmed in a entirely different perspective.

And the reason why people look short and fat for is because of the stretching to fill the screen for SD.