Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2014, 06:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default HDMI splitter from PC?

Does anybody have experience running a splitter off of the HDMI port of their HTPC?

Here's the scenario.....

2 monitor setup (Main is widescreen / Remote is 4:3) Analog O/P is going to the 4:3, HDMI is connected through a receiver (for audio) to widescreen monitor via HDMI - DVI cable.

With this setup, video O/P to the main monitor is dependent on the amplifier settings so if I switch over to tuner on the receiver I lose output to the monitor. This works for my current setup, but restricts my use of that PC based on the receiver settings.

So.... what I'm wondering is how a splitter is seen by the PC.

If I were to run PC - Splitter and then output HDMI to both the receiver and to the monitor (via HDMI - DVI cable) would the PC see two "monitors" (widescreen + receiver) or just the one? If I take it one step further, and then output from the receiver to a 720p TV, would I be able to force the native res of the monitor onto the TV (would the TV accept the stated resolution and then adjust it accordingly)?

Thanks in advance for any insights on how this might or might not work. I'm continuing my google searching for a definitive answer, but so far what I'm seeing are folks using splitters to go to identical res devices.

This is the unit I'm looking at, but I'm also open to suggestions. I'm kinda partial to the fact that it has an option to take audio off of a standard analog speaker connection....

http://products.ncix.com/detail/star...r-90-84650.htm

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP

Last edited by sswilson; January 5, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Features
  • Splits an HDMI source signal to two displays, with no loss of signal quality
  • Supports resolutions up to 1080p (1920x1200)
  • Supports HDMI audio or separate 3.5mm stereo audio connection
  • Rugged steel enclosure
  • Can be cascaded up to 3 layers
  • High Speed HDMI®, HDCP and EDID Compliant
  • LED indicators for signal activity monitoring
only issue is HDCP compliant may work or not , if so then use a HDCP stripper
Old January 5, 2014, 10:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you are using a splitter it will not see it as two monitors, it will be a single signal split.

This is the unit I have at my wifes office,

1X2 Mini HDMI® Splitter w/ 3D support - Monoprice.com

Its quite a bit cheaper if you are happy with just splitting and only want to split to two HDMI signals. I have it going to HDMI extenders as well and works flawlessly. As far as output it is blind, so if you output 1080P it will output 1080P to both displays. if the one screen can not handle 1080P, if it does not have any internal way to downgrade the signal you will be out of luck.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

HDCP shouldn't be an issue. All of my media is legit/DRM free, and both devices it would be sent to are HDCP compliant. The main concern is how the PC will react to 2 different EDIDs.

The question is, how will the splitter be seen by a windows PC WRT setting resolution when both the receiver and the monitor are powered on? Will it favour one device over the other, will it randomly cycle between both, or is it possible that it will be confused enough about the output destination device that it will simply refuse to operate at all?

I'd rather not drop $100+ on a splitter only to find that it will not be able to output a single PC source to disparate devices. I suspect it will work, and will probably give it a shot if I don't get a definitive "yeah I did that" answer from somebody, but confirmation would remove any buyers' remorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
If you are using a splitter it will not see it as two monitors, it will be a single signal split.

This is the unit I have at my wifes office,

1X2 Mini HDMI® Splitter w/ 3D support - Monoprice.com

Its quite a bit cheaper if you are happy with just splitting and only want to split to two HDMI signals. I have it going to HDMI extenders as well and works flawlessly. As far as output it is blind, so if you output 1080P it will output 1080P to both displays. if the one screen can not handle 1080P, if it does not have any internal way to downgrade the signal you will be out of luck.
So windows identifies the display device as the splitter and not as one of the monitors? That will work.

You're right, a dual would suit my needs but I've got cash to spend over at NCIX so I'm weighing my options based on what they have there.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old January 5, 2014, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HDMI isnt really designed to be 'split' per se. You're really duplicating it with a box like that. I definitely dont think you could change resolutions up or down. "They" were trying to eliminate the whole splitter idea for copyright reasons when HDMI was designed. HDCP compliant should be fine, since the features list says it is compliant, its just the whole 'splitter' issue.

I'd say buy it, see if it fits your bill and works for what you want it to do. If not, its NCIX. They'll take it back.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 5, 2014, 11:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ended up ordering the one I linked to originally (PP price is much better than listed one) based on the fact that it supports up to 1900 X 1200 in the hopes that it will therefore have no problems with my 16:10 1680X1050 monitor.

Thanks for all the comments.

Old January 5, 2014, 03:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well for future reference, I use one of these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it connected to my Rogers STB so that I can have the signal go into my receiver as well as my XBOX One. Works perfectly and lets me "snap" TV while playing games on the XBOX, but I don't have to rely on using the XBOX when I just want to watch TV.
Old January 5, 2014, 04:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well for future reference, I use one of these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it connected to my Rogers STB so that I can have the signal go into my receiver as well as my XBOX One. Works perfectly and lets me "snap" TV while playing games on the XBOX, but I don't have to rely on using the XBOX when I just want to watch TV.
Damn... going by the specs that's pretty much the best one I've seen during my limited searching over the last couple of days, especially if it comes with a hands on recommendation.

If this one from NCIX doesn't work out, I'll probably be grabbing this one.

Old January 5, 2014, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gpNCmwZd5c

Display Fusion

Looks like a cool Utility
Old January 9, 2014, 09:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well... that's a no-go for my current setup.

It might work with a monitor that had built in speakers and an HDMI port but it doesn't output audio when it's connected to the monitor (No HDMI audio option in windows) and conversely doesn't output video when it's connected to the amp (seems to recognize whichever device is plugged into port one) unless the amp has an output (HDMI audio is now an option, but no cloned video from port 2 to the monitor).

This pretty much validates my initial concerns WRT how a splitter is seen by windows and is probably why I couldn't find any definitive posts of folks verifying the type of setup I wanted to use.

I'm going to play with it a bit more to see if there might be a setting in the amp that would force HDMI output, but aside from that I don't believe this will work the way I want it to....

Now to decide if I want to return this and pay a restocking fee.