Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default netflix, vudu, cinema now?

Just got a smart tv and looking into these things. anyone use these, good or bad info, pain in the butt factor, costs?
Old September 1, 2013, 03:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have Netflix and it's pretty meh. The selection is only ok (better if you have kids I suppose, but I don't), and they do keep a mix of old and new movies. For the 8 bucks a month (or something like that) and since I don't have cable, it does the job well enough, but if you're an avid TV watcher you might find it's not enough or that its too far behind on some shows (2-4 seasons behind), or that some of the blockbuster shows just don't end up on.

It's simple to use (browser based) and most consoles, media players and such all have netflix apps that work well enough. If you have a VPN or are familiar with them it's easy enough to change to the US/UK/CAN selection when you feel like it. I briefly looked into some of the other streaming services but the Canadian options are a lot more limited it seems. If you're in NC you can probably find a lot more easily.
Old September 1, 2013, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To be honest, the smart TV implications I've seen are down right terrible. Both on LG and samsung TVs, they're slow as all hell and freeze often. It might be best to invest in a chromecast or something similar if you want to stream media to your tv.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

anybody use roku or apple tv or any of those add on boxes?

i have thougth about making a HTPC and installing XBMC and trying to get things that way but not really sure how that works or what it does other than looking at the XBMC web site which only really confused me.
Old November 9, 2013, 06:51 AM
Rookie

Netflix Canada just isn't as good as Netflix America

Netflix Canada: The Best Movies And TV You Only Get In America
Old January 7, 2014, 11:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eztech View Post
Netflix Canada just isn't as good as Netflix America

Netflix Canada: The Best Movies And TV You Only Get In America
nice read

thanks
Old January 9, 2014, 07:52 AM
Rookie

I have netflix. I also pay for this, adfreetime.com. It is 2 bucks a month, you add the DNS servers to your Router and every computer/device on your network thinks it is in the US, you get Netflix US on every device, works flawless and Netflix in the US is amazing.