Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2013, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default REMOTES THAT PEOPLE ARE USING FOR THEIR HTPC'S

Hey Everyone. I'm using a wireless mouse right now for my HTPC but I find it's not the greatest. Range from the box to the mouse is about 5.5 - 6 feet, mouse doesn't always seem to send the signal and always requires line of sight to work. Any Recommendations that keep the price under $50 for a decent remote. I want something that can RMB and LMB click and scroll up and down and have decent range.
Old August 12, 2013, 11:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Does it have to be a remote? I'm a big fan of the Logitech K400 wireless keyboard / touchpad unit.

Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard With Built-in Multi-Touch TouchPad Black

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use my phone, best remote you can possibly use, other than maybe a tablet.
Old August 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
I use my phone, best remote you can possibly use, other than maybe a tablet.
Yup same,While I have a few Harmony remotes (880/One/Touch) connecting VIA my Tuners IR. I find myself picking up my Tablet more often than not when I want to do something more than play/pause/stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 12, 2013, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yatse for XBMC
Unified Remote for everything else
Old August 12, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

obviously you would need some type of receiver to receive the signals from your tablet or phone where do you find such type receivers?
Old August 12, 2013, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
obviously you would need some type of receiver to receive the signals from your tablet or phone where do you find such type receivers?
No receiver needed it is normally done via a server client installed on the HTPC, some are native, I know my PB app for WMC needs no server client software it just works but thats WMC only.

EDIT: Just to clear things up Shadow it uses your wireless network to send the signal from your tablet/phone to the HTPC.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old August 12, 2013, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Logitech K400 is the best thing ever for HTPC. Furthermore, it's a universal USB device, meaning you can use it with whatever supports the universal USB protocol. I've used it on Xbox 360, PS3, WDTV, my smart TV capable Panasonic plasma, etc.
Old August 12, 2013, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
The Logitech K400 is the best thing ever for HTPC. Furthermore, it's a universal USB device, meaning you can use it with whatever supports the universal USB protocol. I've used it on Xbox 360, PS3, WDTV, my smart TV capable Panasonic plasma, etc.
I have not used the K400 but I do own a couple wireless HTPC keyboards, 1 trackball, 1 touchpad. The problem I find with them if you are looking for a remote is simply the size, sure you can type on them but how often are you needing to use a fullsized ( or slightly smaller KB footprint) on a HTPC? I know for how I have mine setup I hardly have to use more than 1-2 keys before autosearch brings up what I am looking for mediawise.
IMO, again IMO, if you are going to use a keyboard with a HTPC then yes something like the K400 would work but if all you are going to use the HTPC for is well HTPC support then someform of a remote works better.

Sadly OP it has been years (XP days) since I bought just a remote and usb/IR and thats getting pretty dated nowadays.

Quote:
Old August 12, 2013, 01:50 PM

My System Specs

I'd rather use a keyboard/mouse combo than a remote. Especially if you are using something like XBMC and have a large library. Unfortunately there aren't any good ones. I've tried pretty much every micro keyboard/trackpad combo and they all aren't very good. I now use a K400 and it is tolerable but so big and bulky.

I've tried pretty much all the Android or iOS tablet apps and IMO they aren't all that great either.