Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   REMOTES THAT PEOPLE ARE USING FOR THEIR HTPC'S (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/62628-remotes-people-using-their-htpcs.html)

Ravenor August 12, 2013 12:02 PM

REMOTES THAT PEOPLE ARE USING FOR THEIR HTPC'S

Hey Everyone. I'm using a wireless mouse right now for my HTPC but I find it's not the greatest. Range from the box to the mouse is about 5.5 - 6 feet, mouse doesn't always seem to send the signal and always requires line of sight to work. Any Recommendations that keep the price under $50 for a decent remote. I want something that can RMB and LMB click and scroll up and down and have decent range.

sswilson August 12, 2013 12:10 PM

Does it have to be a remote? I'm a big fan of the Logitech K400 wireless keyboard / touchpad unit.

Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard With Built-in Multi-Touch TouchPad Black

supaflyx3 August 12, 2013 12:11 PM

I use my phone, best remote you can possibly use, other than maybe a tablet.

Supergrover August 12, 2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 724127)
I use my phone, best remote you can possibly use, other than maybe a tablet.

Yup same,While I have a few Harmony remotes (880/One/Touch) connecting VIA my Tuners IR. I find myself picking up my Tablet more often than not when I want to do something more than play/pause/stop.

supaflyx3 August 12, 2013 12:42 PM

Yatse for XBMC
Unified Remote for everything else

Shadowmeph August 12, 2013 01:19 PM

obviously you would need some type of receiver to receive the signals from your tablet or phone where do you find such type receivers?

Supergrover August 12, 2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 724138)
obviously you would need some type of receiver to receive the signals from your tablet or phone where do you find such type receivers?

No receiver needed it is normally done via a server client installed on the HTPC, some are native, I know my PB app for WMC needs no server client software it just works but thats WMC only.

EDIT: Just to clear things up Shadow it uses your wireless network to send the signal from your tablet/phone to the HTPC.

YukonTrooper August 12, 2013 01:40 PM

The Logitech K400 is the best thing ever for HTPC. Furthermore, it's a universal USB device, meaning you can use it with whatever supports the universal USB protocol. I've used it on Xbox 360, PS3, WDTV, my smart TV capable Panasonic plasma, etc.

Supergrover August 12, 2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukonTrooper (Post 724144)
The Logitech K400 is the best thing ever for HTPC. Furthermore, it's a universal USB device, meaning you can use it with whatever supports the universal USB protocol. I've used it on Xbox 360, PS3, WDTV, my smart TV capable Panasonic plasma, etc.

I have not used the K400 but I do own a couple wireless HTPC keyboards, 1 trackball, 1 touchpad. The problem I find with them if you are looking for a remote is simply the size, sure you can type on them but how often are you needing to use a fullsized ( or slightly smaller KB footprint) on a HTPC? I know for how I have mine setup I hardly have to use more than 1-2 keys before autosearch brings up what I am looking for mediawise.
IMO, again IMO, if you are going to use a keyboard with a HTPC then yes something like the K400 would work but if all you are going to use the HTPC for is well HTPC support then someform of a remote works better.

Sadly OP it has been years (XP days) since I bought just a remote and usb/IR and thats getting pretty dated nowadays.

lowfat August 12, 2013 02:50 PM

I'd rather use a keyboard/mouse combo than a remote. Especially if you are using something like XBMC and have a large library. Unfortunately there aren't any good ones. I've tried pretty much every micro keyboard/trackpad combo and they all aren't very good. I now use a K400 and it is tolerable but so big and bulky.

I've tried pretty much all the Android or iOS tablet apps and IMO they aren't all that great either.