Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2013, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

I personally have tried an Android remote based setup and didn't like it. I now use a Lenovo Multimedia remote which works good for XBMC and mouse control but typing sucks balls on it for the most part and has no function keys. I may look into that Logitech keyboard for typing purposes.
Old August 12, 2013, 02:49 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I though about something like the K400 but it's too large for where i would be storing it. Have you guys ever tried anything like the Rosewill RRC-126 remote?

Newegg.ca - Rosewill RRC-126 Windows Vista/Window7 MCE/Windows 8 MCE Infrared Remote Control with Netflix Function

These remote's look like they would do the trick but i'm not sure about actually moving the cursor around the TV screen and how well that would work. If it work close to something like using a D-Pad then I might take a stab at it. They just don't make it very clear how/if you can either double tap if need be or LMB click if you need too.

I miss the days of the old ATI Remote Wonders.....they did everything I wanted them to do. Except get me a cold one.
Old August 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I'd rather use a keyboard/mouse combo than a remote. Especially if you are using something like XBMC and have a large library. Unfortunately there aren't any good ones. I've tried pretty much every micro keyboard/trackpad combo and they all aren't very good. I now use a K400 and it is tolerable but so big and bulky.

I've tried pretty much all the Android or iOS tablet apps and IMO they aren't all that great either.
Have you tried Yatse? It's damn near perfect.
Old August 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
No receiver needed it is normally done via a server client installed on the HTPC, some are native, I know my PB app for WMC needs no server client software it just works but thats WMC only.

EDIT: Just to clear things up Shadow it uses your wireless network to send the signal from your tablet/phone to the HTPC.
are yoiu saying that it would go through the router ,into the network to the httpc. like forinstance I have XBMC installed on my Main PC which doubles and well triples as everything PC ( except for folding ) I could use a tab as a remote?
Old August 12, 2013, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes you can, check out the link i posted for yatse on the previous page.
Old August 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I use the Hauppauge 45 button remote that came with my TV tuner on my HTPC. I also have a logitech K400 that has been mentioned here as well, it's tolerable as mentioned, and for lack of better options for a mouse and keyboard combo, it really is one of the better choices for htpc purposes I find.

I do have the official xbmc remote on my phone and tablet, but to be honest I find its cumbersome to use. by the time i get the tablet turned on if the battery hasn't died from leaving it for a week, I could have just used the remote to get where I wanted. I'm tempted to try yatse now though. but the tablet remote is really more of a toy I find, rather than actually usefull

though sometimes, I will access the web interface from my pc and pause whatever the gf is watching just to mess with her ;)
Old August 13, 2013, 05:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I use the new version of the K400. The only reason I use a keyboard instead of a remote app is my wife would never be able to figure out an app, lol. The K400 has worked very well for me and I am happy.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old August 13, 2013, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Yes you can, check out the link i posted for yatse on the previous page.
this is actually pushing me towards a Tab but which one
Old August 13, 2013, 09:44 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've had the gyration universal remote and air mouse for like 8 years now, works great. Getting worn out now and they don't make them any more.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I also have a K400 and its excellent, plug and play no brainer, although I think I will try Yatse out too.