Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2013, 12:03 AM
Allstar

Default HDMI Audio to monitor and analog sound out?

Hey all,

I have never in my life really used my computer to output content to my TV in any serious manner (TV = cable, monitor = games + work) and especially never done anything with speaker setups.

I want my desktop to HDMI to a dell u2713hm* and have the monitor analog sound out to an avermedia live gamer portable.

* I don't have that monitor at the moment, and if it doesn't do what I want and another monitor does, i'll get the other one instead.

OR better yes, can I DP to the monitor with sound AND output the sound over HDMI to the avermedia LGP?
Old July 1, 2013, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Is this the device you're referring to? It appears as though it has an HDMI pass-through which would allow it to record both audio and video off a single HDMI connection that also goes through to your monitor. I don't think you'd need an audio out on your monitor for this setup to work.

If you have a different device, let me know and I'll help you find a way to make it work.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:02 AM
Allstar

yep, that's the device.

I [am trying to] use this device for both gaming and work (recording screencasts for use in wikis) purposes at my desk and at client offices. It is much more convenient for me to NOT have the device in the main 'display stream' to my monitor.

also, the HDMI output is a little 'funky' to say the least, so i rather not use it whenever possible. Trying to get the hang of its quirks to make everything work - it's been a rough week.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
yep, that's the device.

I [am trying to] use this device for both gaming and work (recording screencasts for use in wikis) purposes at my desk and at client offices. It is much more convenient for me to NOT have the device in the main 'display stream' to my monitor.

also, the HDMI output is a little 'funky' to say the least, so i rather not use it whenever possible. Trying to get the hang of its quirks to make everything work - it's been a rough week.
Okay, I'm trying to get a clear understanding of what you'd like to do. Essentially you want to forgo sound on the HDMI pass-through and use it exclusively for video while using analog audio?
Old July 1, 2013, 01:18 AM
Allstar

preferred case:

desktop ---(hdmi vid+audio)---> monitor ---(hdmi vid+audio)---> LGP

I'm under the impression that monitors don't have HDMI OUTPUTS, only inputs

first likely scenario:

desktop ---(DP vid+audio)---> monitor ---(analog audio)---> LGP
desktop------------------------------------(HDMI vid)------^

the graphics card outputs the same video over both hdmi and display port, but is set to send it's audio over the DP connection. I'm under the assumption that windows can only send sound through one port at a time.

with the monitor getting the sound, it can itself send sound to the LGP. therefore, the LGP has both audio and vid.

EDIT:

the official method of using the passthrough looks like this:

desktop ---(HDMI vid+audio)---> LGP ---(HDMI vid+audio)---> monitor

this is a pain in the butt with the amount of attaching and reattaching I would have to do both at my home and work desks. It's much easier to have the LGP attached to a separate port on my graphics card.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:31 AM
Rookie

Ah, gotcha!

Under the specs for that monitor, it appears it has an audio out. I'm going to assume it's a standard 3.5mm audio jack which would plug into your device. In theory it should work just fine. Just make sure Windows is mirroring the displays so you get the same image on the capture device and the monitor.

Let me know how it turns out!