Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default HDMI Cable Question

I have been reading that HDMI cables under 10' dont suffer degradation like the old composite cables since it is a digital signal, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 26, 2008, 05:59 PM
Top Prospect

I'm not sure about your original question but this shows that there is no use buying a expensive cable. This also shows the video tests and there is zero loss so I assume there is no degradation of the video.
CBC.ca - Marketplace | Packing the Deal
Old April 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, I didn't think it made any difference either, but as you bump the resolution up for 1080p you may find lower quality cables start to crap out. I tried 2 lower quality cables with my TV and could get any signal. Grabbed a higher quality one and no trouble since.

What length are you looking to buy Super? I can make some recommendations for good quality cables at a good price (no Monster Cables).
Old April 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking for 6' Gav
I dont want to have to spend say 20 only to find out spending a little more would have been the better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Looking for 6' Gav
I dont want to have to spend say 20 only to find out spending a little more would have been the better bet.
Its a digital signal and can easily go over 15' and sustain no degredation as long as you have no major kinks or such in your run.

A $5 cable will be just as good quality at 6' as it would be at 20'
Old April 28, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if your looking for that expensive look and feel without the pocket book hit you should check out HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!. I get all my cables from these guys. Despite being in the us i haven't been hit with duty yet. I think partially because it's shipped by usps :)

Old April 28, 2008, 03:02 PM
Allstar

I use Monoprice also and it's a great place to buy cables of all kinds. Excellent quality and cheap prices. I got hit with duty once but it was only an extra $10 on a $70 order. Still a fantastic deal either way.
Old June 22, 2008, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Default HDMI is all digital

Great question. HDMI is digital, so you either get a perfect signal or nothing at all, that is the nature of digital.
I have all my equipment connect thru a HDMI switch because my HDTV only has 2 HDMI inputs. I have 6 ft HDMI cables from the source to the HDMI switch and 25ft from the switch to my HDTV. I use the cables that came with the package and it works brilliantly and not at a exorbitnat cable cost.
Old June 22, 2008, 06:33 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I use Monoprice also and it's a great place to buy cables of all kinds. Excellent quality and cheap prices. I got hit with duty once but it was only an extra $10 on a $70 order. Still a fantastic deal either way.
I just used them as well to get some Banana plugs. Cheap prices on parts and shipping. Only downside I found was no tracking #'s for Canadians when using USPS ground.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:27 AM
Top Prospect

I have been using a 6 ft Ion hd cable paid 11.00$ 4 months ago it even has a protective cover and gold ends, I use it mostly with my htpc set on 1080p on a 37 lg and it works as well today as when i purchased it. If you figure that the life expectency of a newer tv is about 5 to 10 years and say i get 2 years out of this cable at 11 bucks sure could buy alot of these if i were to have to for the price 1 monster cable at 150 bucks.