Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2013, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Exclamation any LucidLogix Virtu MVP users here?

Hello folks,
I am getting a mobo that has this software and I was under the impression that what this software does, is allowing to connect the display to the integrated graphics controller and for 3D games enjoy the power of the dedicated graphics card without having to switch cables. Basically the system would allow the 3D rendering to be done by the video card while displaying the result through the integrated video display. I am getting an i3 setup with the i3-3225 with the Intel HD4000 graphics. Any of you have hands on experience on this subject?
Old March 31, 2013, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't get my Lucic driver to load. not much on youtube on lucid.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

your rig has intlel SB or IB?
Old March 31, 2013, 02:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I use the Lucid program that came with my ASUS motherboard. It is supposed to optimize performance, something to do with your APU & GPU. I have an AMD 10 APU & HD6670. It seems to work, no complaints. I did try an experiment a while back to see if it made much of a difference. I can't recall the details but it was enough for me to decide to leave it enabled when in Dual-Graphics mode. It does not work when I cross-fired two HD6670's. I'm not home for the weekend but I'll run a test with a benchmark and post a reply showing the difference with Lucid enabled, and disabled. Installation is a bit of a bother, in order to get the benefit of the OEM version install it from the motherboard disk - this gets you a registration number - then update - this will delete the installation you just installed, but keep the user files (registration number) and install the update. Be careful to read the information on the update page at Lucid. There is a separate page if you for updating bundled versions. I guess those of us who got the program bundled (as I did with my mboard) are special and don't qualify for the latest and greatest version which they want you to buy. I didn't so can't comment on that version.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old April 4, 2013, 12:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My system has an Asus P8B75M LE and the Core i3 3225 CPU on Win 7 Ultimate x64. Installing a Geforce GT 430 in the first 16x slot and rebooting with the display assigned to the integrated GPU is destroying the display : windows reverts to 640x480 resolution and 8 colours. An additional message says cannot initialize DirecX 9.0 and something like wrong GPU configuration. In the BIOS I set the multidisplay to on as it is explicitly explained. Booting directly from the GT430 installed in first 16x slot goes smoothly resolution and colours are kept intact. As game, I am gaming on NFSHP2010 at 1280x720, anf with latest VGA drivers from Intel website, (Asus drivers are not up to date), Performance preset in Intel's control panel for 3D and boosting the GPU to 1150MHz from 1050MHz I managed to bring the gaming from low 30s to high 40s FPS which acceptable for me. Gaming on the GT430 at the same details and resolution with 301 drivers keeps the game all the time at 60FPS, this is why I would prefer to use Virtu. Installing the GT430 in the second PCIE x16 on the board is uneventful and I can game on the integrated GPU and fold on the GT430 with no lag in the game whatsoever. Folding wise I get 15k PPD with the i3 the GT430 and a GT520 on regular PCI port. Should I write Asus for some support?
Old April 4, 2013, 08:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Your last post is way beyond me, I have no idea on any of that.

However, back to your first question abut Lucid. I did use it, I say 'did" because I decided to test it to see if it really makes a difference - and yes it does, but at least not a good one. This was a real world test running Dirt3 on my AMD A10 APU system using a HD6670 in dual graphics mode with the APU, this is what the version of Lucid I'm using was designed for (I'm using Virtu MVP). The effect of using it was to drop my FPS from an acceptable 39 down to a barely playable 21 - 'virtually' cutting my performance in half. I did the test twice and the results were the same. I used the internal benchmark feature of Dirt3 which runs a full race and produces a report. So much for the benefits of Lucid. And Dirt3 is one of the games on the list in Lucid where I should expect a performance boost.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old April 7, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

FKD, your situation shouldn't need the use of this software as you already combine two videochips the right way. But what is the version of software that you used?
Old April 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have it installed now. seems fine so fare.

Installed from cd with motherboard. then upgraded.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Lucid MVP for Dual-Graphic Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
FKD, your situation shouldn't need the use of this software as you already combine two videochips the right way. But what is the version of software that you used?
Lucid's MVP returns an error message if I try to use it when I've crossfired my two HD6670's. I can only use it when I'm running in "dual graphics" mode with the APU & one HD6670 - which based on the graphic which displays when enabling Lucid is how the program is intended to be used to optimize this use of the APU & GPU together. NOW I don't know if it works better if the iGPU and the dGPU are not crossfired in a dual-graphic mode.

Not sure if you can make it out but it shows an image of the APU with the label "iGPU" and a graphics card with the term "dGPU"

I've upgraded it and it shows "core 2.1.224.26520" When I click "check for updates" it returns a statement saying I'm running the most up to date version.

I have not loaded all my games since I re-installed Windows so only have Dirt3 loaded to test. I also have loaded X-Plane but that game does not take advantage of crossfire/dual graphics at all so doubt it would help. Will double check though and post if it makes a difference.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old April 7, 2013, 06:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Disabled the "dual-graphics" mode and tried Lucid - it returned an error message and shut down. It will only run on my machine when Dual-Graphics between the iGPU and dGPU are enabled.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig