Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2013, 09:16 PM
Rookie

Question A Decent Digital Media Receiver For...?

I couldnt find a better place to post this so if there is i applogise. So this is my situation. I currently own a Apple TV 3 and love it for new releases and netflix but having to import and sometimes convert my downloaded media into itunes is a pain in the rear espicially since the apple tv has no USB. Does anyone know of a cheap 0 - 100 dollar range Digital Media Receiver that it is simply plug and play any media file off my computer? Like maybe one that uses VLC media Player where i can litterly just stick a flash drive in the side and it will play no matter the format on my tv? Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old March 31, 2013, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the Asus O!play mini on newegg.ca is like 69$. Link to the specs page : ASUS - Sound & Multimedia Devices- O!Play Mini
Old March 31, 2013, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I've pretty much tried them all, if you're not willing to set up a full fledged HTPC with XBMC, Boxee Box with Boxee+ installed gets my vote.

The GUI can get laggy every now and then, and the scraper sometimes needs a manual NFO for file identification, but it plays every file I ask it to and streams Netflix in HD with 5.1 audio. The remote is simple and easily used by anyone not missing limbs, the case is dead silent and can be hidden out of sight due to RF remote.

O!Play, WDTV, PBO are too minimalistic (no movie covers, etc), Roku's file support is lacking, ATV2's hardware isn't up to snuff and the 3rd generation is not jailbroken yet, Pivos with Linux XBMC is still buggy, and a Windows HTPC is not as elegant and easy to use for everyone. Streaming to a Xbox or PS3 with Tversity/PS3 media server has it's own set of issues with regards to MKV's with multichannel audio.

Boxee Box!