Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Operating System (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/60000-operating-system.html)

Lightskinbro March 3, 2013 07:59 PM

Operating System

My HTPC was on hold for a few months but I'm about to start putting it all together.
I was planning on buying a fresh copy of Window 7 for the system but I'm not sure what version I should be getting?
Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate?:doh:
Does it even matter?
Or how about Windows 8? :ban:
I will be running XBMC as my main hub.

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Shadowmeph March 3, 2013 08:06 PM

myself if I was going to just be using it for XBMC then I would install a free OS like Linux and then run XBMC or even xbmcbuntu-12.00.Intel-AMD but that is just me.

Arinoth March 3, 2013 08:22 PM

I'm running Windows 8 with xbmc and it runs just fine, though I'm not 100% sure if it's Win 8, xbmc or what have you but whenever I boot mine up,it never goes to the native 1080p resolution, normally a lot lower. So I have to close and re-launch it, don't remember it ever happening in Win 7. If you can use Win 7 over Win 8 I'd still recommend doing so.

supaflyx3 March 3, 2013 08:31 PM

I personally like windows 8, the tiles would look pretty sweet on a tv as well.

Lightskinbro March 3, 2013 08:45 PM

I've been using windows 7 Pro on my current PC & have no complaints.
I am not that tech savvy so Linux and Ubuntu are sort of out of the question.
Windows 8 is sort of a wild card for me still as far as compatibility issues with XBMC as posted by Arinoth.

I'm looking at Ubuntu and I like what I see..
Thanks Shadowmeph!
This looks like an option I hadn't thought of.

SpaceSquad March 4, 2013 06:25 AM

I have Ubuntu + XBMC installed. Crazy fast boot-ups on some older hardware. Plays back video perfectly, nice web browsing, I am very pleased.

Specs:
Pentium D 3.4
2 GB DDR2
5450 1GB
Sata HDDs
Wifi (bad location for wires)
Ubuntu 12.10

Search dx.com for cheap handheld wireless keyboards - I bought my rechargeable one for 20 bucks and am very happy with it.

EDIT/ All I have to do configuration-wise was enable proprietary AMD graphics drivers. This is so easy to do - it's under Ubuntu Software Centre > Edit > Software Sources > Drivers. Wifi and everything worked out-of box - I just wanted 3d acceleration via radeon drivers.

enaberif March 4, 2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceSquad (Post 694196)
I have Ubuntu + XBMC installed. Crazy fast boot-ups on some older hardware. Plays back video perfectly, nice web browsing, I am very pleased.

Specs:
Pentium D 3.4
2 GB DDR2
5450 1GB
Sata HDDs
Wifi (bad location for wires)
Ubuntu 12.10

Search dx.com for cheap handheld wireless keyboards - I bought my rechargeable one for 20 bucks and am very happy with it.

EDIT/ All I have to do configuration-wise was enable proprietary AMD graphics drivers. This is so easy to do - it's under Ubuntu Software Centre > Edit > Software Sources > Drivers. Wifi and everything worked out-of box - I just wanted 3d acceleration via radeon drivers.

Good luck playing Blu-Ray discs :)

JD March 4, 2013 06:34 PM

If all you plan to run is XBMC and never leave it, I'd say install XBMCbuntu (Index of /releases/XBMCbuntu).

All pre-configured and ready to go, very simple to install. Just burn to a disc, boot, click next a bunch of times, and your done.

I personally found XBMC ran better that way rather than from Windows. Seemed much smoother and less glitchy/buggy.

I surely wouldn't buy Windows with the intent of running XBMC on top. That's just a waste of money.

Shadowmeph March 4, 2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 694338)
If all you plan to run is XBMC and never leave it, I'd say install XBMCbuntu (Index of /releases/XBMCbuntu).

All pre-configured and ready to go, very simple to install. Just burn to a disc, boot, click next a bunch of times, and your done.

I personally found XBMC ran better that way rather than from Windows. Seemed much smoother and less glitchy/buggy.

I surely wouldn't buy Windows with the intent of running XBMC on top. That's just a waste of money.

That is what I suggested here bmcbuntu-12.00.Intel-AMD I am not sure of how good it is I never tried it but it is for the xbmc so I imagine ethat it is good.
I never heard of problems playing bluerays in Linux why would that be a problem?

enaberif March 4, 2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 694343)
That is what I suggested here bmcbuntu-12.00.Intel-AMD I am not sure of how good it is I never tried it but it is for the xbmc so I imagine ethat it is good.
I never heard of problems playing bluerays in Linux why would that be a problem?

You can't play blueray MEDIA in Linux because its commercialized medium. The only way you can watch bluray in Linux is by ripping to MKV.