Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Good luck playing Blu-Ray discs :)
what's a disc?
Old March 5, 2013, 01:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
You can't play blueray MEDIA in Linux because its commercialized medium. The only way you can watch bluray in Linux is by ripping to MKV.
OK.. this presents a small problem for me. I want to be able to play Blu Ray discs in my HTPC not just from the HDD.
I also read something about not being able to play Video Games using Ubuntu.

I guess I should have mentioned that I am making this a total media center.. so it will have a high end graphics card for gaming as well.

Looks like Windows is starting to creep back in.. UBUNTU

Last edited by Lightskinbro; March 5, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 15, 2014, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Win 7 ultimate
Old January 15, 2014, 11:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

We'll my lil Acer came with home premium and worked fine with 16 gigs of Mushkin blackline.
Old January 16, 2014, 06:32 PM
Top Prospect

The ubuntu/XBMC combo is the nicest (and cheapest) solution you can get for a media center. But the drawbacks are (as you said):

-You might not be able to play some of your games.
-Bluerays may be a big problem.

I love XBMC but for one thing: their TV PVR solutions are still a bit weak and seem "forced" onto the main system. For TV recording and viewing I use Windows Media Center, XBMC is for everything else but live TV.

So if you have to decide on Window 7 vs. Windows 8, I'd get windows 7. I've used all their editions, even the Win 7 Enterprise one which I have on my work laptop.

I have four htpcs running Windows and a combination of windows media center (WMC) and XBMC. Here's my experience:

In Windows 7, it didn't really matter if you chose Windows 7 home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate, they all came with windows media center, and setting them up for a full media center experience was dead easy (one of my htpcs is a combination WMC and XBMC). If you care about Windows Media Center at all, you should avoid the Windows 7 Starter (it is not easy to buy) and Windows Home Basic (does not come with Media Center and does not have a built in DVD decoder).

Windows 8 alone is like Windows 7 home basic. You need to get your own DVD player (with mpeg2 and dolby sound decoder), and it does not come with windows media center anymore. To get that, you need to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and add the Media Center Add-on.

I don't know if Windows 8 would be OK with XBMC (I think so, because XBMC has its own players and codecs). I have Windows 8 Pro (bought it for my work). But I hated it so much I stopped using it for work and changed it to an htpc running XBMC. As an htpc, it is working very well.

My two main htpcs: One is running Windows 7 home premium with both WMC and XBMC, and the other is running Windows 8 Pro with XBMC (with the capability to run WMC if I decide to later). I'd like to try the Ubuntu/XBMC thing one day, but now I need bluray playback and other windows software so I'm stuck with windows. Windows 8 is not for me (even on the Pro version I bypassed the new menus, start screen and apps as best as I could and stuck to the desktop), and I will stay with Windows 7 as long as I can.
Old January 24, 2014, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Good luck playing Blu-Ray discs :)
There is no native blu-ray support in Linux. That said, there are some tricks you can pull with some programs to make it work, but I consider it to be pretty hacky. (I believe I saw an option to use automkv at one point). I rip the movies from the disks and encode mkv or mp4 to play back on my Linux machines.