Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Budget Build HTPC (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/59790-budget-build-htpc.html)

wedge22 February 20, 2013 05:23 PM

Budget Build HTPC

I am building a new HTPC after trying out a WD TV Live and not liking certain elements, (lack of metadata from NAS files, no faves on network etc). I will be building this cheap and cheerful and installing XBMC and connecting over a wired network via powerline devices to my DNS-323 NAS.

Parts:

CPU AMD A4 5300 APU
MOTHERBOARD MSi FM2-A55M-E33
RAM AMD MEMORY Entertainment Edition 4GB PC3-12800 CL9 DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 4GB)
SSD Kingston 64GB (already own)
CASE/PSU INWIN IW-BK623 Micro ATX Tiny Tower, Black w/ 300W Power Supply

The total including shipping and taxes was $190.90, I hope that this little machine will work out well, parts were shipped out today.

Bloodystumps February 20, 2013 07:51 PM

I am sure you will be pleased with that APU and the build looks good, I am going to build something like this soon so let me know how you like it.

wedge22 February 20, 2013 09:47 PM

Thanks.

I should have the parts by Friday afternoon ready for a weekend build.

igot6strings February 21, 2013 03:50 AM

Interested to see how this turns out. Will you be using Netflix HD? If so let me know how it runs off that APU. Netflix at Good, and Better quality settings will work without issue I'm sure. What I am wondering is how well Netflix HD runs. I have a e350 APU with 6310 graphics and its terrible at Netflix HD due to Silverlight not supporting the 6310 for hardware acceleration. I've been eyeing the 5300 for awhile. If it can do Netflix HD I'll be placing an order for one soon myself.

wedge22 February 21, 2013 01:12 PM

I will provide feedback and let you know as I too have Netflix HD and will be using it. The one thing I did find out is that OpenELEC XBMC installed with an AMD APU will not bitstream HD audio, LCPM works just not bitstream, somthing to do with the ATi drivers. I belive if this is a requirement then you can install Windows XBMC and it should work, I dont think I am too bothered.

igot6strings February 25, 2013 10:53 AM

Did your stuff show up? Hows it looking?

Bond007 February 25, 2013 12:49 PM

On a very tight budget that should work well. One point is that AMD APU are starved for memory bandwidth, so I am sure another stick of ram (to make it dual channel) will make a difference.

wedge22 February 25, 2013 03:01 PM

My parts arrived on Friday and I built the machine Friday evening, installed Windows 7 and XBMC and tested it out, it works well but some files do not play back smoothly, I am sure this is not related to my machine, likely drivers or settings, needs more tweaking.

I followed the steps below after the initial issues with the playback and they are still happening.

My setup is, PC>AVR Onkyo>LCD all using HDMI.1. If you installed Realkek, you can un-install it
2. Make sure to up date the latest AMD driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect
3. Select AMD High Definition audio output in Windows 7 control panel/hardware and sound/sound/playback
4. If you have AVR, you need to select "Audio output device WASAPI: "AVR brand/model go here" (AMD High Definition......)" in XBMC
5. Enable DXVA2 and select DXVA as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
6. Enable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output

igot6strings February 25, 2013 03:15 PM

Are the files stored on another computer? If you're using wifi that may be where the issue is. My e350 handles everything perfect in XBMC. There's no reason your hardware shouldn't do the same.

wedge22 February 25, 2013 03:25 PM

My files are stored on a DNS 323 NAS and the network is Powerline Ethernet adaptors, I have three of them setup. I will test wil the same files this evening stored on the SSD of the HTPC and see if there is any difference to rule out network. I will also test these same files on my main rig after I have installed XBMC on it, as they work fine using VLC.