Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2013, 06:26 PM
Allstar

Default Windows 8 HTPC quarks

Spent 20min googling for these but no one seems to have publicly posted any work around. This is being only a HTPC, I actually like the metro interface for a media centre....it just sucks in practice.
  • Has anyone figured out when searching for music and videos not to search the xbox music/video marketplace? or to just default it to my music/video when searching.
  • The mouse does not auto hide for the video app. Actually the video app default settings just blow. Without installing a 3rd party app to hide the mouse is there a setting somewhere?
  • CEC is there a way to get this to work in windows 8, in line coupler to control it maybe?
Old January 30, 2013, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Why don't you run XBMC on windows 8 as your media software? I don't have any of the issues you are having and it's rather nice/easy to use including the fact you can wireless control with a tablet or smart phone using their remote app (xbmc and the remote app are both free)
Old January 30, 2013, 06:41 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Why don't you run XBMC on windows 8 as your media software? I don't have any of the issues you are having and it's rather nice/easy to use including the fact you can wireless control with a tablet or smart phone using their remote app (xbmc and the remote app are both free)
Giving it a chance, I have a pi with XBMC on it and can always go to XBMC on the desktop if it drives me nuts. Just giving it a go. Even if I go with XBMC it does not answer the CEC issue.

The music search anyway is faster in windows 8 vs xbmc as well. I have about 6-700GB of music ~200K songs and XBMC does not work as well, windows 8 takes almost no time to do the search off my home server.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:03 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Giving it a chance, I have a pi with XBMC on it and can always go to XBMC on the desktop if it drives me nuts. Just giving it a go. Even if I go with XBMC it does not answer the CEC issue.

The music search anyway is faster in windows 8 vs xbmc as well. I have about 6-700GB of music ~200K songs and XBMC does not work as well, windows 8 takes almost no time to do the search off my home server.

I got this off the xbmc wiki. Not sure if it works in windows 8. Or even if this was what you were looking for. (I thought it was.)

Pulse-Eight. Control your TV from XBMC, or vice versa! USB - CEC Adapter