Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2012, 03:21 AM
Allstar

Default Artifacting in WMP11 when Playing DVD

So I setup a new system for my aunt to play back DVDs. The system uses parts scavenged from 2 disgraceful HP and Dell pre-builts.

I installed the windows updates fine, but I let the windows updater pick the drivers. Everything works fine and dandy, but there's a problem when I actually try to play the DVD.

I tried to use VLC originally, but it just refused to play the disk. Then I tried WMP; the playback is almost entirely artifacted. There's nothing really much to say.

What could cause this sort of problem? I'll provide more details once I get some hints on what to provide details about.

Core 2 Duo system using very ancient intel graphics.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

no gpu acceleration causing issue mb / HDD ain't fast enough
Old December 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
So I setup a new system for my aunt to play back DVDs. The system uses parts scavenged from 2 disgraceful HP and Dell pre-builts.

I installed the windows updates fine, but I let the windows updater pick the drivers. Everything works fine and dandy, but there's a problem when I actually try to play the DVD.

I tried to use VLC originally, but it just refused to play the disk. Then I tried WMP; the playback is almost entirely artifacted. There's nothing really much to say.

What could cause this sort of problem? I'll provide more details once I get some hints on what to provide details about.

Core 2 Duo system using very ancient intel graphics.
Ancient Intel Graphics with a Core 2 Duo? System is more than likely just not able to play.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would try something like PowerDVD or similar. I don't see why a Core 2 Duo wouldn't be able to decode a DVD.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
Allstar

any reason why VLC wouldn't even start the DVD? i tell it to play it, but it just ignores me and does nothing. It doesn't freeze, but it just sits there like I never gave it a command.

I've actually used the HP for DVD playback in the past (where the 1.9GHz C2D is from) and it ran normally. However, the DVD drive itself isn't the same. I had to play 1080p youtube and it struggled, but it played back 720p no sweat.

also, there's a warning message on post telling me the system fan has failed, could that be screwing something up?