Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
Top Prospect

Default Streacom Passive HTPC Build

Case - Streacom FC5-OD
Mobo - Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 (got a pretty good deal on it, needed the features over power savings)
Proc - i3 3225 (mainly because of the HD4000 graphics)
Ram - 8GB Samsung Low Voltage
Storage - Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD
PSU - Standard 150W PicoPSU
Blu-Ray Burner - Panasonic UJ235A

PicoPSU and the AC/DC converter.

Thiiiiiiiick front panel.

Parts (aside from the Blu-Ray burner which is on a ship heading here from China).

Mock fitting.

Lapped all the thermal coupling blocks flat (I know, it's not a mirror finish, went up to 2000 grit).

Installed! Arguably the hardest part of the build, used up my entire tube of IC Diamond. Had to scrounge up some Arctic Silver to complete the jobby, no clue why Streacom did not include any thermal paste...

Power and SATA3 cables in place for future 3.5" hard drive expansion. Still waiting on the slim SATA adapter cable to plug the Blu-Ray burner in, allocated a molex connector on the bottom right.

3.5" hard drive mocked in place.

Now for the stress testing portions, sure an i3 doesn't put out that much heat, but the heatsinks still got plenty hot. Ran Prime95 + MSE full antivirus scan for a day just to be safe (partially because I wanted to cure the thermal paste) and found that the temps maxed out at around 70C, which is impressive for a completely fanless case.

Not bad for a consumer SSD.

Some of my opinions after buttoning up the system:

PROS
+Looks amazing
+Passive cooling system works pretty well
+Can fit a surprisingly amount of hardware inside
+Solid construction

MINUSES

-Too many parts make up the case, introduces flex because there are a lot of screw joints, would be better if the sinks were one piece
-Top and bottom panels could be thicker
-Finish could be better, but I understand the 'EVO' edition fixes this
-Cost!
-Unused heatsinks on the left of the case, would be better of the heatpipes were split between the two banks of heatsinks

So far I'm quite satisfied with the system. The SSD definitely speed things up a lot. My boot times were in the 15 second range with the standard installation of Windows 7 before any optimization. It has obviously slowed down a tad bit due to the programs I installed. The HD4000 graphics are amazing and effortless, I do not understand why anyone would pay for a more expensive i5 for HTPC duties (or even i7's) - the i3 is PLENTY.

HOWEVER, the best part of it all? 100% WAF AND its absolutely SILENT.

Brendan
Old November 23, 2012, 09:08 PM

My System Specs

That case is gorgeous.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:00 AM
MVP

Probably the nicest looking HTPC I've ever seen. Very sleek.
I like the idea alot but I don't understand why absolute silence is necessary in an HTPC. I can understand wanting to stop as much noise as possible but a small fan or 2 of good quality is next to silent if you're more than 3 feet away. I couldn't see myself spending extra cash just to make something I find inaudible completely silent. If I can't hear it from 3ft away thats good enough for me but thats just my opinion.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That case is gorgeous and that's quite the low temperatures for full load situations.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Question Discrete GPU

Excellent build!

Will it be possible to employ a discrete Fanless GPU, for example, Sapphire ATI HD7750 Ultimate or AMD Radeon™ HD 6850, with this case?
Old November 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundSparks View Post
Excellent build!

Will it be possible to employ a discrete Fanless GPU, for example, Sapphire ATI HD7750 Ultimate or AMD Radeon™ HD 6850, with this case?
Passive GPU's rely on airflow within the case to cool them. This case uses itself as a huge heatsink and relies on the minor airflow in the room to keep the processor cool. If you put a GPU inside of this case it will probably overheat because there is absolutely no airflow.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

neato!!!
Old November 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Humina, humina!

Old November 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow!!!! Great build, thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of those cases at all!

Have you set something up to monitor the HDD temps? It's been quite a while since I heard of anybody having problems with an overheating HDD, but since there is zero airflow I'd be keeping an eye on it just in case.

Did you feel the case under full load? Is it sitting at around 70c?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
Trial Member

Where did you buy your Streacom case?